Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Quoting another poster's comments

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Sep 2013 18:52

It would have been reported by a member, and GR just responded to that claim ............ obviously it depends very much on how well the other member presented their case for posting the same information more than once!

Some people seem to do very well in getting posts removed for the silliest of reasons.

jax

jax Report 3 Sep 2013 12:07

Just goes to show that they make the rules up as they go along then....

I have had posts removed for giving links to duplicate threads..with a comment added like" you have already got a thread about this" so my comment goes because it wasn't friendly enough but the duplicate thread stays :-S

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Sep 2013 11:12

Absolutely, but that was the reason GR gave for removing my posting. The copy and paste was construed as posting the same or similar material more than once, and therefore in breach of the guidelines for message board use.

It was around three months ago, so is relatively recent.

jax

jax Report 2 Sep 2013 15:10

I doubt very much that quoting what someone said broke the guideline "Posting the same or similar information more than once"

If that's the case most people could be reported that help on the boards. as there is often duplicate info being posted

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 Sep 2013 14:58

GR once removed one of my postings which contained a quote from a previous members submission purely on the basis that it broke the guideline re posting the same or similar information more than once.

So, presumably if quotes are to be allowed 'officially' then this guideline will also need to be re-examined.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 17 Aug 2013 12:45

A brought forward suggestion for consideration, please:

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1269989
Please enable a poster to quote another poster's comments.

Can we have a quote facility ?
http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1289427

RE:Quote option
http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1327897