Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Reporting of Posts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 28 Feb 2014 05:43

May I suggest that the ability to report threads is taken away from the boards.

Instead, could the ability to report threads be given to a select number of PAID-UP MEMBERS, who frequent the boards, they would be very good moderators.

This way, what seems to be childish and/or malicious reporting could cease.

There is no need for everyone to know who the moderators are.

:-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 28 Feb 2014 12:25

Do not agree with this. Yes there are some very silly people who RR all and everything, but it does not happen that much, yes it is annoying. And as a member of Rootschat I find that moderators whilst meaning well can often rule with a fist of iron!!

Much rather 24 hrs or so for any thread which has been RR'd to be checked by GR than 'instant' moderation.

Also, if somteone does RR because they consider a thread to be offensive (even if only to them) and a moderator does not agree, then that moderator may consider leaving that thread on. Now if only 1 person is offended then that thread should be removed.

Takes a lot to offend me, so I rarly RR. Have only ever done so I think twice in the past, and got called a racist for my troubles! (talking of 'would rather speak to the organ grinder than his monkey!).

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 3 Mar 2014 09:19

I think Rambling Rose wrote a lot of sense on this same subject. It is imperative that we have an instant report button imo for anything racist, homophobic or just plain hateful and nastily goading.

I rather like suggestion that only one report on a thread does not automatically get it whooshed (which seems to happen now in High Control). And several of us now (if we see a very funny post which could get reported by Mary Whitehouse or Oliver Cromwell) copy said post and get ready to keep pasting it back on for hours if necessary so other members can have a laugh.

Community Manager

Community Manager Advisor Report 3 Mar 2014 10:34

Hi everyone,

The ability to report threads will continue to be available to all. If a post is reported a member has found it inappropriate or offensive, and have the right to report. The Customer Support team review each case on an individual basis to determine whether a thread should be removed.

Regards

Shelley

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 3 Mar 2014 10:40

hmmm

The individuals who review each case seem to have individual views.....

There doesn't seem to be any consistency.

Reporting a post from 2008! If that thread is not reinstated, something is really wrong.

I really don't believe non-financial members, who cannot post on the boards, should have the ability to report posts. There are many paid-up members who frequent the boards, they are more than capable of removing nasty posts.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Mar 2014 10:59

I know we don't know what action genes takes when somebody continually reports posts that are not offensive in any way. I hope that they do take action of some sort because there is obviously some malicious/mischievous reporting happening.

It is all very well to say that posts are reinstated if Genes determine it not to be offensive. It would be comforting to know that all Genes admin staff are singing from the same song sheet. (i.e. they have definite guidlines to follow and are not just deciding on an ad hoc basis.

I wonder if Genes have noticed that the number of Standard members (i.e. those that have belonged for the pleasure of communicating with people on here not necessarily doing their trees any more) has decreased. Or maybe the membership remains the same but those people are not posting so the boards are not the vibrant places they used to be, even the genealogy boards. A lot of people have decamped to Face book int he past year because of the malicious Reporting of threads. and how do you explain a thread from 2008 being reported, unless it was because the thread was initiated by a certain member? Whose threads are continually reported. :-S

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 3 Mar 2014 16:15

Shelley has clearly been put into bat. And it will be a defensive and straight bat.

Who is happy with the reporting system. Which of the paying customers thinks it works well.

Do Shelley and team really believe it works well? Think a review might be good.

Kense

Kense Report 3 Mar 2014 16:49

I am reasonably happy with it. I am sorry that the jokes get reported as I usually miss them.

Genes have a responsibiity as to what is displayed on their site and they have to err on the side of caution.

jax

jax Report 3 Mar 2014 17:56

I only use this site to help with genealogy questions....they have dwindled away so have spent more time reading all the boards over the last couple of years.

There are so many stupid posts/threads reported these days, that I cannot be bothered with it anymore.....so although thought I was out of here on the 28th have now been given another month...but that will be it for me now