Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HOT MATCHES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 17 Mar 2015 13:51

I don't seam to have had a hot match for quite a while

can I request one please ???? :-D :-D

THANK YOU

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Mar 2015 08:46

Snap :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 18 Mar 2015 21:54

I would really appreciate one to be honest :-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Mar 2015 09:51

Does the lack of a Hot Match say something about us, or something about our relatives ;-)

Kense

Kense Report 23 Mar 2015 21:43

I have had two on separate occasions in the last two days.

Community Manager

Community Manager Advisor Report 24 Mar 2015 11:01

Hi JoyBoroAngel,

Have you added any new relations to your tree recently?

Do you know [approximately] when you received your last Hot Match?

Regards,

Shelley

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Mar 2015 16:57

oh???????????

so you have to add new names to your tree before it is included in Hot Matches?

Does that mean that trees that have not been updated are not included in matching against other trees???

Methinks there is something wrong there!!!

I know that there used to be a limit to the number of matches made between trees ..........

............. which meant that the same names were being matched all the time

Mind you ..................... matches and trumps against my tree have been so daft that they've been worse than useless :-)

A Trump last October was .......

Mary Smith b. 1779 Oxfordshire

with

Elizabeth Powell b. 1685 Northamptonshire

:-D :-D

with Trumps like that, I don't want any Hot Matches :-)

Kense

Kense Report 20 Apr 2015 11:42

I had another hot match at the start of this month and I hadn't done any updates to my tree since the last one.

The limit on the number of matches does not mean that the same records are being matched all the time as the selection of names is random.

From the help menu about matches that do not match it says:
"If you have a list of hot matches that do not match at all then we apologise for this.

Occasionally the wrong names do get matched if a member has changed or updated their tree since we matched the names. "

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Apr 2015 18:00

well, I haven't changed my tree since I entered Mary Smith, so the other tree owner must have changed the match to Elizabeth Powell :-)

Ken ..............

I have never believed that the selection of names is random ............... someone at GR, possibly Phil, once said that the selection process took a maximum of 100 names to match tree to tree, and your matches were always likely to be within that 100. Any names outside that 100 or of less frequency would not be matched

I know that I personally have never received matches or Hot Trumps for a majority of the names on my tree ............. which only has about 130 names.

Yet I know from doing tree searches that the majority of those names are present on other trees.

Interesting, eh?

Kense

Kense Report 20 Apr 2015 21:44

When I used to maintain my tree on GR I had about 100 good hot matches listed.

About a year ago I imported a GEDCOM from another site. The result was that the hot matches were still there, but when I clicked on them the details shown were no longer matches.

II have since discarded them but I suppose that once discarded they are not compared again.

The help file says that 50 entries in your tree are randomly selected at a time. It also says that common names like Smith and Jones are not matched.

It would be interesting to know the process for randomly selecting them and which other common names are not compared.