Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

mothers maiden name pre 1911..help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barry/Pam

Barry/Pam Report 22 Feb 2008 22:54

Hi All , I was just wondering if there was a way to find out the mothers maiden name before 1911 .
I have been looking for Cleggs born in the Prescot region of Lancashire between 1841 and 1861 and have found 11..
5 of these match children I have found on the 1861 census for my cleggs in Sutton st helens lancs .
What I want to know is ...is there a way of finding out the maiden name of the mother so I can see if any of these other cleggs belong to the same family .
Hope you can help ...thanks Pam

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 22 Feb 2008 22:57

If you buy the marriage certificate for a couple it will tell you the bride's name.

Those began in 1837 so should take you back a bit.

Otherwise it is just compare family groups on the various censuses.

Sue

Barry/Pam

Barry/Pam Report 22 Feb 2008 23:00

hi sue , I think her name was harrison , thats not what I mean though lol,what I am after is a way to see the mothers maiden name of the ones I have found and see how many of the 11 are her kids..Pam

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 22 Feb 2008 23:04

You could look at parish records, either local to the place, or perhaps order a film from LDS and view it at your nearest Family History Centre. No other way, really!

Barry/Pam

Barry/Pam Report 22 Feb 2008 23:07

hi Ann , I dont live too far from there how do I go about finding the Parish records,never tried that before ....Thanks Pam

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 22 Feb 2008 23:09

If you find her with her family on a census then you can tell which ones were alive and living with her on that day.

You can look at the IGI in the hope that some will be on there.

You could try to see if an online parish clerk for that area can do a look up.

Sue

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 22 Feb 2008 23:09

They should be at the local Archives. Google and they should have a website which will give you contact details, and may tell you what they hold.

Barry/Pam

Barry/Pam Report 22 Feb 2008 23:11

Thanks ladies , I am off to google now , thanks for the advice , take care ,,,Pam

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 23 Feb 2008 00:28

If you search for the births on www.Lancashirebmd.org.uk you MIGHT get lucky as they've started to put mother's maiden names on there for the pre-1911 births. Not many of them do have this info as yet, but worth a try.

Richard