Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR IN LEICESTER (TWENTY ONE)

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beverly

Beverly Report 22 Jun 2010 17:41

I am looking for Masters, Stretton, Gilford and Packwood

Beverly

Beverly Report 22 Jun 2010 17:44

Can everyone use this thread now instead of part twenty
Thanks

Karen

Karen Report 22 Jun 2010 22:49

Hi All,

Just nudging this for my records....

Cheers
Karen of Brisbane

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 24 Jun 2010 23:32

Transferring these over to this tread :~

Kathleen Today at 17:53 Request review
Hi Mike.

Hope you don't mind but I'm after another look-up, I've found James Broughton on the 1841 census born 1793 Leicestershire living with his wife Hannah born 1794 in Ireland. Also in the household is a John Gorgon who I think should be John Grogan. Anyway Could you see what you can find for James Broughton, I think he died in 1847 aged 54 and Hannah died in 1842 aged 48. John Grogan was sometimes known as Broughton, I'm trying to find the link between him and my ancester who I believe was born Mary Smith born abt 1812 who married under the name of Mary Grogan in 1843.

Many thanks
Kathleen

Add

Kathleen Today at 17:45 Request review
Hi Mike

I'm back again with a request, could you tell me anything about a James Broughton who according to the 1841 census was born in Leicesterhsire in 1793, his wife Hannah was born in Ireland in 1794. I've found a death record for James for 1847, his age of 54 fits and a death for Hannah in 1842 aged 48 again her age fits to the census. In 1841 there was a John Gorgon living with them w

Kathleen...

MIKE. .....

Maggie in Leics

Maggie in Leics Report 16 Jul 2010 08:09

In addition to my Butlers, have recently found a book that my Dad has had in storage for 40 years(!!) which gives me some Butler ancestors, but all I have at the moment is their name and brief details - be pleased if anyone has any info. (Would love to know what profession Edward Gardiner was in - his daughter Susannah seems have been to be very well educated).

John Butler (1800, son of Henry Butler) married Jane Hollins. Jane Hollins was the daughter of Thomas Hollins and Jane Gardiner. Henry Butler and Thomas Hollins were both shoemakers.

Jane Gardiner (1764) had sisters Susannah (1762), Sarah (1766), Mary (1768) and Elizabeth (1770). It would appear their parents were Edward Gardiner and Sarah Tomkin. Edward Gardiner died in 1782 aged 49. Sarah (Tomkin) Gardiner died in 1779 aged 49. Sarah Gardiner married James Ludlam in 1788. Elizabeth Gardiner married Charles Waring in 1792. Mary Gardiner died in 1776. Susannah Gardiner doesn't appear to have married.

Elizabeth (Gardiner) Waring appears to have died aged 31, but Sarah (Gardiner) Ludlam appears to have had at least five children - James (1789), Susannah (1791), Charles (1793), Charles (1795) and Elizabeth (1797) - so presumably I have some Ludlam cousins out there!!

Won't tell you what I said to my Dad when i found he had been sitting on the Gardiner information for 40 years!!

Chrystine

Chrystine Report 16 Jul 2010 08:46

Hi Mike, you very kindly found a burial in 1858 for me , I wondered if you would mind taking a look to see if there is anything for a child Charles William Bennett He is with his mother 1861 census in Thurlaston, but no sign of him after this. He was born Jan 1861 Thurlaston . I have his birth cert but cannot find anything after this date. Mothers name Harriet, father Charles, I think possibly his parents seperated before his birth as his mother used the name Harriet Martin until her death. regards, and many thanks Chrys.

MaryMc

MaryMc Report 16 Jul 2010 22:49

Looking for Marsden and Staples.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 17 Jul 2010 15:54

n

oxbjjm

oxbjjm Report 27 Jul 2010 11:32

I am looking for George Mason b c 1821 Leicester who moved to Sutton in Ashfield Notts, married Hannah Bowering b c 1819 Sutton in Ashfield in April 1847 Anyone who has info re parents or family of George. Would you be prepared to share ??
Also William Mason b cc 1824 Leicester,moved to Sutton in Ashfield, may have married Elizabeth Oscroft
Again same question.
I should add th ey both worked as Frame Work Knitters

Thanks john m

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 5 Aug 2010 22:51

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•……F.A.O……John. M..

Baptisms & one Burial Worthy of Note. :~

St: Margaret’s Parish Church. Leicester.

BAPTISMS :~ 1821.

Entry No’. 1792. 31st. Oct.

George Son of Thomas& Mary Mason.
Britannia Street.
Boatman.

R. Barnaby. Curate.

BURIALS :~ 1822.
Entry No’. 245. 4th. October.
George. Son of Thomas & Mary Mason.
Britannia Street.
An Infant.
R. Barnaby. Curate.

BAPTISMS :~ 1825.
Entry No’. 1790. 31st. August.

George. Son of Thomas & Mary Mason.
Britannia Street.
Boatman.

R. Barnaby. Curate.

Sorry No sign of William Mason. Born c 1824.

MIKE. …..

Janet   Pauline

Janet Pauline Report 21 Sep 2010 18:10

Hi
I don't know if this board is used anymore, but if someone out there could help me with my problem i would be most grateful.I have just received the marriage certificate for Richard Williamson who married Mary Sharp 11th September 1837it gives Richards father as Joseph Williamson and says that he is deceased. I cannot find a birth for Richard but on census information it states he is born Coleorton and is born 1810 to 1815 approx.If anyone has any information on Richard or Joseph i would appreciate your help .Thank you Jan

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 24 Sep 2010 00:26

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•……F.A.O…….JAN.

Greeting’s & Welcome……

All Events below are for the Parish of :~

St: John the Baptist & St: Mary the Virgin.
Coleorton.

BAPTISM 1813.

Richard Son of Joseph & Jane Williamson. …Bapt. ….9th. May.

MARRIAGE ANNO DOMINI :~ 1796.

Joseph Williamson. ~ Jane Dexter.
24th October.
By Banns.

BURIALS :~

Parish Burial Register No’. 421.

Joseph Williamson.
Abode. …Coleorton Moor.
12th. April.
Aged. 66.

Burial Register No’. 472.

Jane Williamson.
Abode. ..Coleorton Moor.
30th April.
Aged, 67.

Mary Sharp’s Father was a Francis Sharp.

Hope this helps ……

MIKE. …….

Janet   Pauline

Janet Pauline Report 25 Sep 2010 10:44

Leicester Mike thankyou so much for the information you have given me,it has helped a great deal.I shall know who to ask if I want any more help. Thankyou Jan

Janet   Pauline

Janet Pauline Report 3 Oct 2010 23:40

Hi Mike
I have searched various web sites but to no avail, trying to find brothers and sisters for my Richard Williamson, i even got my daughter in law to drive me to the church in Coleorton , well not actually in more of on the edge, looking at grave stones. We found two with Williamsons on, one was a Jane King daughter of Edward and Hannah Williamson died aged 16, (having a different surname does that mean she was married )in 1772, and next to this was her mothers stone she had died 1770 it said Hannah wife of Edward Williamson.We had to kick dirt away as they were like paving slabs laid flat, laid at one end of a very large monument for a vicar.Could these possibly be relations of my Williamsons.What im trying to ask you Mike is even though i cannot find anything on the internet is it possible to still get more information from records offices, or even disc's that have parish records on, the latter being preferred as time is a bit hard to come by at present.thank you for reading
Jan

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 5 Oct 2010 21:46

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•……F.A.O…….JAN…….

Greeting’s Again. ……

ALL the below have Parents Joseph & Jane Williamson.

EYES DOWN. !!………

St John the Baptist & St: Mary the Virgin Church.
Coleorton.

Joseph. ….Bapt. …31st. August.

Mary. ……..Bapt. ….20th. June.

Jane. ……..Bapt. ….1st. April.

William. ….Bapt. …..28th. August.

RICHARD……Bapt. ..9th. May.

Regarding the inscription on Jane’s Headstone ?
1st October. 1772.

I’m more inclined to think the “ King” name
was the Maiden name of Hannah Wife of Edward……
which was the fashion in those days to use the Maiden name as middle a name.

Interesting that the Parish Burial Registers
Does not give the second name KING part in their records
So was it an after thought and asked the Stone Mason
To put the name of KING on the Headstone ?

Records to bear this out :~

Coleorton Bapt. 1736.
Hannah. Daughter of Henry & Jane KING…………Bapt.24th October..

Jane Daughter of Edward & Hannah Williamson. …Bapt. 1st. June.

MIKE. ……

Janet   Pauline

Janet Pauline Report 7 Oct 2010 09:26

Hi Mike, thankyou for your response I have now been able to add a few more ancestors to my tree. Thanking you again Jan.

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 7 Oct 2010 11:28

" Your very Welcome." ....

MIKE. ... :o))

Janet   Pauline

Janet Pauline Report 25 Jan 2011 20:18

Hello i was just wondering if this thread can still be used, and that Mike is still the Leicester Librarian of births marriages deaths and burials, as i haven't seen him posting.
Thank you
Jan

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 25 Jan 2011 20:30

Greeting’s again. ….

No one has posted anything since your last enquiry…..

So……….. I’d be talking to myself ,,,,,lol...:))

MIKE. ….

Donna

Donna Report 25 Jan 2011 21:25

Hi Mike

That comment made me lol ,i thought this thread wasn't going anymore,i am glad Jan asked her question,.I hope you are well Mike and are ready for a question that you helped me with before about Bagleys from Wing in Rutland ,you found the parents of Thomas who were Joseph and Martha, whilst doing this tree i have since found another line linking the Bagleys back to Wing through a Abraham Bagley he seems to be 3 years younger than my Thomas on the 1841 census but neither are living with parents,and i cannot find parents for Abraham would you be able to work your magic please, as if they are not brothers i am sure they are cousins, Thank you Donna