Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rue Aly El Leisse, Alexandria, Egypt

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 9 Sep 2012 22:04

Help needed, please ....

Does anyone have any knowledge of Rue Aly El Leisse, Alexandria, Egypt ?

Perhaps a relative or friend lived there during the 1940s, or perhaps someone, reading this, may have known this area personally.

Any help, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated .......

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Sep 2012 04:11

have you tried googling?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Sep 2012 08:24

Also on another site, with no replies

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/localities.africa.egypt.general/316/mb.ashx

A related thread of yours from 2009? It might have been best to resurrect it rather than start a new one

http://mygenesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/shama/thread/1165847?d=desc

Also
http://users2.smartgb.com/g/g.php?a=s&i=g25-52348-95
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/gb/hsjeguestbook

At least you're exploring all avenues!!!
:-D

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 10 Sep 2012 09:57

Have you tried contacting the library in Alexandria?

Susan

Susan Report 10 Sep 2012 22:09

I had no success with the other thread so instead of resurrecting the old one I thought maybe I should try another avenue, sorry if this has caused confusion.

I have already tried contacting the library in Alexandria but they could offer no help kept stating due to the upheaval in Egypt over the last sixty odd years so many records had been destroyed.

Susan

Susan Report 11 Sep 2012 16:22

I am convinced someone, somewhere must have heard of this road or have known a family who lived there ........

I am unsure whether this area of Alexandria still exists - I wrote a letter to 41 Rue Aly El Leisse but never received a reply.

Susan

Susan Report 28 Aug 2013 21:12

I've finally located an old map of Alexandria with Rue Aly El Leisse marked thereon, however, now of course all road names are in Arabic as opposed to French.

I've, by now, posted several letters to the address but obviously in view of the continued political unrest I expect no answer.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Aug 2013 00:53

At least that's one step closer! :-D

Have you thought of posting on one of the Forces sites? Although the years are slipping away, there might be some military amateur historians with memories of Alexandria immediately post WW2

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 29 Aug 2013 04:38

Are you a member of Rootschat? If not then join (its FREE)

They have thread/pages dedicated to many and varied subjects, including various countries around the world.

Susan

Susan Report 29 Aug 2013 20:25

Hi DetEcTive,

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I have placed questions on WW2talk.com/forum and have received some ideas but nothing constructive, as yet ..........

Susan

Susan Report 29 Aug 2013 20:25

Hi DetEcTive,

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I have placed questions on WW2talk.com/forum and have received some ideas but nothing constructive, as yet ..........

Susan

Susan Report 29 Aug 2013 21:58

Hi DazedConfused,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have now joined Rootschat and placed an entry thereon, so here's hoping ........