Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

licensed stage porter

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 13 Aug 2013 12:59

Not sure about licensing but Doc staging is an old fashioned term for the doc hands who lead the boats/ships in and tie them up. The hands throw them the ropes so they didn't hit the keys - quays.

Edited: used to work for a company off loading goods in West Africa. Those ropes were huge and very heavy - wasn't unknown for somebody to be wacked and seriously injured as they landed. Off from the main quay each tie-up had it's own landing stage

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 13 Aug 2013 11:23

Are you sure that it says "licensed stage porter"? I think the second word might be "day" - it looks like a crossed t in the word because of the mark across Dock above it.

The docks certainly used day labourers and porters though I'm not sure about the licensed bit. While looking for Daniel I came across an Owen McCormick aged 58, born in Ireland and living in Birkenhead, so possibly related to Daniel and he was a dock labourer.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 12 Aug 2013 23:21

1891 think the family are shown as CORMACK

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 12 Aug 2013 23:09

Did the son marry in 1906

Marriages Jun 1906 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aspinall Ada Jane Wirral 8a 901
McCormack John Thomas Wirral 8a 901

What was the occupation of Daniel on that cert if correct

Reggie

Reggie Report 12 Aug 2013 23:07

looks as though there's a notation about Dock L............

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 12 Aug 2013 22:52

PM from Rob saying it's this person in Birkenhead:
Household Members:
Name Age
Daniel McCormick 56
Margaret McCormick 49
John McCormick 18
Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 3392; Folio: 71; Page: 35

I haven't a clue.

Reggie

Reggie Report 12 Aug 2013 22:31

Cab drivers have to be licensed

Reggie

Reggie Report 12 Aug 2013 22:21

What was his occupation in other censuses?

jax

jax Report 12 Aug 2013 22:19

The only licensed trade I can think of is Licensed victualler....but would not have thought it would be mistranscribed as that

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 12 Aug 2013 22:15

Hi Rob,

Can you point him out on the 1901 for us please?

Maureen

robert

robert Report 12 Aug 2013 21:58

can anybody advise ...my great granddad in 1901 aged 56 was a licensed stage porter..i cannot find out what type of job this was....

thanks Rob