Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DOES ANYONE KNOW.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

martynsue

martynsue Report 16 Aug 2013 15:54

in what year did the marriage cert start adding the father's name & occupation.

what is the earliest date that you could order a cert from.

thank's

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 16 Aug 2013 16:02

Marriage certs started with civil registration in sept 1837 and father's name & occupation was recorded if known although you can get parish records before that date just what is recorded was pretty much hit and miss, that was one of the main reasons for civil registration being introduced because it standardised the system as to what info was recorded

Roy

Andrew

Andrew Report 16 Aug 2013 16:03

That would be Sept 1837 in England and Wales. Before that its parish records only.

Andy

martynsue

martynsue Report 16 Aug 2013 16:04

I thought that would be the case,
thank you for your replies

Thelma

Thelma Report 16 Aug 2013 18:06

That is Sep quarter 1837 actually July 1st

http://www.owenfamilyhistory.net/civilreg.html

martynsue

martynsue Report 16 Aug 2013 18:20

still no use to me mine married in 1802.

jax

jax Report 16 Aug 2013 18:35

There are also marriage certs with made up fathers on...I have one completely made up name, another who names her grandfather as her father and one I bought recently was honest and gives a completely different surname to her own, as her father which sort of helped but he never married her mother it seems.

martynsue

martynsue Report 16 Aug 2013 18:42

I have some made up one's also,2 of them with the wrong name for the father but research show's I have the correct people.so cert's do not alway's confirm you have the right people,

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Aug 2013 22:34

Do you know the witness names?
Often these were family members and further research, eg.baptism register or maybe Wills will show that the marriage witness had a family link.

1802 is rather early to hope for a later marriage of either bride or groom, but if there was a 2nd marriage after 1837, you could find the father's stated name that way.

Gwyn

martynsue

martynsue Report 17 Aug 2013 14:59

no I don't it just stated both of this parish,i will wait to see if anyone is going to the record's office again and ask them to just check it.