Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Confirmation of Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 18 Aug 2013 16:21

Hi

Does anybody known if Lancashire Registry Office will confirm birth, marriages and death certificates.

Kind Regards

Angela

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 18 Aug 2013 17:06

What do you mean by confirm?

No registry will give any details from a BMD cert

Roy

Angela

Angela Report 18 Aug 2013 18:37

Hi

If I was to contact my local registry office with the reference number of the certificate I believe is my ancestor, I will give information i.e. mother and fathers name on a birth certificate, they will confirm if I have found the correct entry.

Kind Regards

Angela

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 18 Aug 2013 19:12

First local registry offices don't use GRO index numbers, They all have their own system to index BMD's so the GRO reference is no use to them,

If the local office has its own web site for searches then you may be able to get the correct reference number,

I doubt that many offices will give info over the phone unless their records are digitised because it would mean them having to do a manual search to find the entry so could take some time and probably a minimum charge for the search

I have in the past phoned a registry office where their records were digitised and although they would not give out names I asked if they could confirm if the entry I had for John Smith in 3rd quarter 1897 was a marriage to Ann jones and they said yes but that's as far as they would go, I doubt they will give you details now because registry officers now rely on people buying certs as part of their income.

Roy

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Aug 2013 19:22

Have you looked at the website? The Lancashire County Council Registry Office has on-line ordering facilities. No doubt it will tell you there what searching options are available.

Angela

Angela Report 18 Aug 2013 20:48

Hi InspectorGreenPen

I did look at the website but could not see anything written regarding confirmation. Every one on this site are knowledgeable and helpful guiding people in the right direction including myself several times, I thought it would be worth asking.

Your right Porkie_Pie about the income part, I will ring up and ask them if they will confirm if I supply them with the information that I believe will be on the certificate but will probably need to purchase and hope for the best.

I really appreciate all your help

Kind Regards

Angela

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 18 Aug 2013 21:29

Hi Angela, how recent is the certificate in question?

Reason for asking is that Ancestry has some Lancashire parish records and then of course there is Lancs OPC. If it's an older record then you could give details and we can have a look to see if there are any matches.

Angela

Angela Report 18 Aug 2013 21:37

Hi

The year is 1919 and the child born is Joan Thompson, the confirmation I would require is the parents name.

I will ring and order the certificate on Monday

Thank you all for your advice and kind offers for assistance.

Kind Regards

Angela

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Aug 2013 21:56

Which one?

Births Mar 1919 (>99%)
Thompson Joan Heathcote Ashton 8d 498

Births Dec 1919 (>99%)
Thompson Joan Jameson Fylde 8e 1034
Thompson Joan Evans Salford 8d 267

............marriage records will show first names of parents - have you tried to find them?

mgnv

mgnv Report 19 Aug 2013 03:07

Since we're talking abt Lancashire Registry Office , not Tameside nor Salford, I presume it's the Fylde one, so:

Using http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1919
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference
THOMPSON Joan Lytham Preston JAMESON LY/27/17

Note - the local ref they want is LY/27/17

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Aug 2013 08:43

Marriages Mar 1918 (>99%)

Jameson Agnes Thompson Fylde 8e 1045
Thompson James C Jameson Fylde 8e 1045

But, of course, Lancashire in 1919 was somewhat different from its present-day configuration................

Potty

Potty Report 19 Aug 2013 14:22

Actually, I don't think there is any such thing as the Lancashire Registry Office - there are Registry offices in many towns in Lancashire.

If you look at the record mgnv posted from Lancashire BMD site, it tells you that the registers are now at Preston register office, so that is where you would need to phone if you want to see if they will confirm the details.

Potty

Potty Report 19 Aug 2013 14:31

Just checked on lancashirebmd site and you can order online from Preston Reg Office via the site.

They give addresses of all Lancashire Reg Offices but not phone nos, except for Wigan and Leigh which will only accept telephone orders and payment by credit/debit card, so it looks as if they are not encouraging people to phone.

Angela

Angela Report 20 Aug 2013 18:14

Hi

Thank you for all your kind help, I purchased the certificate today via the internet, they declined to offer assistance over the phone.

Regards

Angela

mgnv

mgnv Report 21 Aug 2013 06:26

Potty - If you look up the addy for what LancsBMD call Preston, you'll see:

Preston

Lancashire Registration District
Certificate Services
Quayside Court
Chain Caul Way
Preston
PR2 2ZP