Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GERMAN FAMILY OF RODERS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 19 Aug 2013 10:53

Hi guys i was wondering if anyone can point me into the right direction or could possibly do some look ups if they know where to look! I am trying to find out information on my GGG grandfathers parents. Paul Joseph Roder my GGG grandfather was born in 1830 on the 17th of july in Imgenbroich district Monschau givernment region of Aachen. He moved to England and had his very large family which i know all about, but its his parents i have little info on and i dont know if he was an only child.

Going by the German birth cert which i had sent over from Germany his father was called peter roder and was 34 years old in 1830 and was a barber so guessing this is what we would think today as a hair dresser. His mother was called Catharina Strauch but it doesnt give an age but it does state paul J roders parents are husband and wife. It also gives names there was an Yohn Arnold Roder present day laborer who was 37 years old resident in Imgenbroich and joiner paul strauch 43 years old also resident in Imgenbroich now am now sure if paul if catharinas father or brother because i dont have her age but it sounds like Arnold Roder is a brother to peter looking at the ages.

Any tips i would be so greatful!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Aug 2013 11:14

A barber deals with men's hair.................a hairdresser deals with women's hair

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Aug 2013 11:16

Unless it's a unisex hairdresser! (Sorry)

But do have to add that there are still many barber shops around.

Thelma

Thelma Report 19 Aug 2013 11:31

Familysearch have German records.

Paul Joseph Roder
Germany, Births and Baptisms, 1558-1898

birth: 17 July 1830 Imgenbroich
christening: 17 July 1830 Imgenbroich, Rheinland, Preußen, Germany
residence: 1830 Imgenbroich, Rheinland, Preußen, Germany

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 19 Aug 2013 16:29

lol yes my dad still goes to a barber lol il have a look at that familysearch Thelma thankyou

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 20 Aug 2013 00:14

found loads of my strauchs on that website many thanks guys!

safc

safc Report 20 Aug 2013 00:20

you could try here but you have to browse through them could take awhile

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&countryId=1927074

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 20 Aug 2013 09:56

thankyou safc

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 30 Aug 2013 00:27

thankyou found loads