Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help with info on marriage cert (refuted/disputed)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bethany

Bethany Report 24 Aug 2013 18:06

I have recently looked at a marriage cert and am having difficulty deciphering one of the words on it and also what the word means.

where the parents are listed i have seen ( present) and (Deceased) listed after the fathers name but have come across one that looks like it says possible (Refuted or Disputed ) after the fathers name can any one help ?

Gee

Gee Report 24 Aug 2013 18:10

Hi

You will need to post the details of the marriage.

Names, dates, place fathers etc

patchem

patchem Report 24 Aug 2013 18:23

If it says refuted or disputed then the name of the Father is not believed to be correct, or might not be correct.

Bethany

Bethany Report 24 Aug 2013 18:39

Thanks patchem and gins the details are

29th Dec 1885 Kiltarlity Inverness

marriage of John Chisholm ploughman age 25 and Margaret Fraser domestic servant age 21

Maragrets parents are listed as cannot read 1st name surname Robertson Farm servant refuted/disputed father and Catherine Fraser Domestic servant.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Aug 2013 18:49

I would interpret that as meaning that Catherine FRASER, mother of Margaret claimed that (? ) ROBERTSON was her daughter's father.

Maybe it says reputed father ?

If it does say disputed, I think Mr ROBERTSON was denying that Margaret was his child.

Gwyn

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Aug 2013 18:53

"Putative" is often used on English baptism records

pu•ta•tive ('pyu t? t?v)

adj.
commonly regarded as such; reputed.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/putative.

Would the 'shape' fit that?

Bethany

Bethany Report 24 Aug 2013 19:05

hi detective yes it would fir the first few letters are hard to make out but the last bit ( .....ted ) is very clear and as there are two marriages to a page the other marriage happens to have the same word in brackets listed after a father as well but also hard to make out first few letters. thanks

patchem

patchem Report 24 Aug 2013 19:54

Can you actually scan it in and then put it in Keepsafe?

mgnv

mgnv Report 24 Aug 2013 20:36

I would guess it's reputed - that's what's on my g gran's m.cert and d.cert, and also another g gran's d.cert (no m.cert as she wed pre-1855). There's also a Lonmay (Aberdeenshire) parish register entry for the first g gran's baptism which names the father and his home village and occupation - she too was born pre-1855.

Reputed has the same root as reputation, and means what is generally said about the case - as distinct from having any really firm evidence like a DNA test.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Aug 2013 21:02

I would agree with mgnv - the word is probably "reputed", meaning that it is believed that he was the father especially as the daughter has her mother's maiden name as a surname and not this reputed father's surname.

Kath. x

Bethany

Bethany Report 24 Aug 2013 21:17

Thanks for all your help :)
Bethany Sutherland

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 24 Aug 2013 21:39

1891 probably this one as john is a ploughman

Name: Margaret Chisholm
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1864
Relationship: Wife
Spouse's name : John Chisholm
Where born: Glenurquhart, Inverness
Registration number: 101
Registration District: Kiltarlity
Civil Parish: Kiltarlity
County: Inverness
Address: Beaufort
ED: 8
Household Schedule Number: 52
Line: 18
Roll: CSSCT1891_29
Household Members: Name Age
John Chisholm 31
Margaret Chisholm 27
William Chisholm 6
Christina Chisholm 4
Maggie Chisholm 2
Mary Chisholm 1

I have found sometimes with the scottish census that grandparents can give the surname of a grandchild as that of the suspected father

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 25 Aug 2013 09:11

It does read Thomas Robertson Farm Servant (reputed father).

I have seen the cert.

Is there anything else you cannot read Bethany?

Mel

Bethany

Bethany Report 30 Aug 2013 21:01

Thanks all for your help, Mel that's all that i couldn't read thank you :)