Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

National Archives Kew

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 25 Aug 2013 20:00

Just wondered if any of the information held at Kew is different to the various record offices around the country.

Was thinking of visiting the National Archives but I have been to the offices I am interested in, Yorkshire, Kendal, Lincolnshire and Manchester but was hoping maybe I would find any extra information by visiting London, which is not on the Archives website, does anyone know??

Marilyn

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 25 Aug 2013 22:09

Hello Marilyn, I think it would depend on the type of records that you're interested in looking at?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Aug 2013 11:13

Local area records are usually kept in the local main records office

KEW keep other types of records like naturalisation records army records etc

I got my grandfather ,and his brother , Army records from Kew when they served in the Boar War. plus the ships manifest of the vessel from when grandfather was lost overboard in 1911.

Also got the Army record of grt x3 grandfather Thomas Emons when he joined in 1820s -1849

Take a look at the National Archives site to see what they hold

Potty

Potty Report 26 Aug 2013 12:09

Some of the National Archives are available on line, eg Royal Navy records up to 1923. They aren't free to view but can be downloaded for £3.50.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 Aug 2013 14:50

I agree with Shirley, even if you lived next door you would be wasting your day if you went to the National Archives without checking what they have. You really do need to know what you are looking for.

Have you tried www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a. a2a = access to archives - it connects you to holdings in local archives.

If you can't find what you want on either site then check out the local archive web sites.

Good luck

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Aug 2013 15:41

Also in some instances I have found the online searching for the National Archives and absolute nightmare.

It is to my mind one of the least user friendly sites I have ever used.

Several times in the past I have found a record I wished to purchase (and it was available to do so) but when I came to doing so, the webpage would not accept the record numbers you are told to quote when ordering. In the end in all instances I just gave up. Luckily 1 was a big divorce in the 1920's and it later turned up on Ancestry....

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 26 Aug 2013 20:21

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, I will take a look on the site to see what exactly is on there. Just seems everytime i put a name in it comes up with nothing and just wondered if there was anything actually at the archives not listed on line.

Marilyn

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Aug 2013 20:56

Oh yes theres loads that they hold that aren't listed ,

Some documents they hold are too fragile to handle to put onto film

I had to have white gloves on and a raised holder to hold one document I was looking at .

grandads ships manifest too stiil doesnt show online .

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 26 Aug 2013 23:47

By far the majority of their records aren't name indexed.

I'd suggest you read their Research Guides on the subjects you're interested in to see what might be available.

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 27 Aug 2013 14:52

Thanks everyone, I might give them a ring and depending on what they say, go when I get a day off sometime.

Marilyn