Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FMP Irish Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gai

Gai Report 27 Aug 2013 10:38

I currently have a sub to FMP Britain Full Subscription which is due for renewal in a couple of weeks. Now I don't normally use my FMP access as often as I probably should but I'm thinking of pursuing my Irish Ancestors. So I'm wondering if a World Sub might be the way to go. I do have a world sub to ancestry.

If another member has access to FMP Irish records, do you think it's a worthwhile collection as I'm currently not having a lot of success in my searches on other websites.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Gai

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Aug 2013 10:53

Irish ancestry is extremely difficult to trace once you get back before the 1901 census

You'll probably find the free familysearch site has as much info as any other

Read the threads on here which give advice about the subject of Irish research

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Aug 2013 10:56

Have you looked at what FMP offer in the way of Irish records?

Does the list appear to include any which would be helpful to you?

Gai

Gai Report 27 Aug 2013 11:54

HI Reggie,

I couldn't see the list of what FMP offered so that's why I asked the question.

I have gone through familysearch and didn't find any results that related to the ancestor that I'm looking for.

I have also read a couple of threads about searching Irish ancestors here on GR and searched a couple of the recommended websites.

I've scanned the Irish Newspaper archives along with the Dublin Castle Records and haven't found anything.

Maybe it's the end of the line for this ancestor.

Potty

Potty Report 27 Aug 2013 12:15

Gai, there are a couple of very good Irish researchers on this site. Perhaps if you start a new thread giving some names and dates and any info you do have, they will be able to help you.

Have you tried googling the area you are interested in, putting genealogy in as search parameter? There are some records out there.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Aug 2013 12:22

On FMP.........

Under 'help & advice'

Click on International records

then click on Irish records

Full list of what they hold is then shown.

Gai

Gai Report 27 Aug 2013 12:40

Hi Potty,

I was trying to find as much information for myself before I raised the white flag. I've had so much help in the past I don't want to be greedy in asking for help.

I did try google and I even found a youtube video that someone had put up in 2006, though there are a few unflattering comments about the place.

Thanks Reggie,

I must be going mad because I didn't see the Ireland tab on the side of the page when I looked. Just goes to show I can't do 3 things at once. ;-)

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 27 Aug 2013 17:57

Gai....
If its the Matchetts your are after looking for then you need to be in the Co's Armagh Antrim Down and a few around in the Co Tyrone....

Renes

Renes Report 27 Aug 2013 22:39

Gai

We can always assist with Irish
over on the dark side remember ;-) ;-)

Gai

Gai Report 28 Aug 2013 08:52

Thanks Eringobragh1916 I will have a look at your suggestion and see what I can find.

Renes, you know I love the dark side and it's a great place to visit :-D

Renes

Renes Report 28 Aug 2013 08:59

We love seeing you there ....especially with an Irish look up .... ;-) ;-)

Please bring the obligatory Lemon Meringue Pie. ...
come soon ..
coz Percie is on her holidays .............

Gai

Gai Report 28 Aug 2013 11:44

Holidays,

What, when, where, why is this the first I've hear about this.

I'll have to post on her FB page and ask for an explanation.

Renes

Renes Report 2 Sep 2013 22:56

she's back now .......

:-D