Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

may seem a daft question but

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 3 Sep 2013 13:03

thanks I will try gooners :-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 3 Sep 2013 08:17

And if any names you are researching are not too common you could try the GOONERS. The Guild of One Name Studies.

Lots of people researching single surnames.

Had a great sucess via these people some years ago.

There are even people researching names like SMITH and JONES!!!!!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Sep 2013 07:43

I belong to a branch of the Kent Family History Soc. I can attend other branch meetings as a guest for £1

It doesn't cover any other Society though but many will accept a guest if its only a short visit.

We do get enquiries though for family info from people from outside the area who can't visit and these will be read out at a meeting asking for any volunteer to take up the look up .

I think the society does make a small charge to the enquirer which goes into the societies coffers !

Angela

Angela Report 2 Sep 2013 19:28

I was just thinking on trying to research names from certain parts of the uk that may yield interesting facts ect
thanks for your replies

Reggie

Reggie Report 2 Sep 2013 16:44

Depending on time-scale and location, much research can be carried out without the assistance of FHS's.

Not sure how far you've got.............or what you're looking for.....................

Angela

Angela Report 2 Sep 2013 16:41

ok thanks, looks like it may be expensive then :-(

Reggie

Reggie Report 2 Sep 2013 15:45

Each FH society is separate ...............and the appropriate fee has to be paid

Angela

Angela Report 2 Sep 2013 15:35

please can someone advise me. If I was to join a local family history site would that membership be transferable to to other fhs or do I have to pay to join each site ?
I have been to ffhs website and it doesn't say if membership is transferable.many thanks