Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stonemasons

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bruce

Bruce Report 4 Sep 2013 01:22

I wonder whether anyone can give me any advice about guilds for stonemasons in the early 19th century in London and in Scotland.

My great great grandfather William Douglas is listed in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 censuses living in Lambeth. In all three censuses, he is described as a Stonemason and as having been born in Scotland. The ages in all three censuses are reasonably consistent about age, suggesting he was born around 1799, give or take a year or two.

I also have copies of his Marriage Certificate (from 1841) and his Death Certificate (1861). The information in these (including occupation) is consistent, with the added details that his father was a mariner also called William and that when he married my great great grandmother he was a widower.

I think I may have traced his baptism in 1799 and I know a fair amount about him after 1841. The first 42 years of his life are a mystery, however. In particular, it would be interesting to know when he moved to London and about his first marriage. Of course, it would help to trace the marriage if I knew when he came to London

It occurred to me that one possible way into this would be through guild records or record of his apprenticeship. This could have been either in Scotland or England.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might find out if there are available records for stone masons?

Bruce Douglas

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Sep 2013 08:32

Google...............................always the first stop if looking for ANY on line info

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Sep 2013 08:36

If you have a look here it might give some information:-

http://www.genguide.co.uk/source/Stonemason-Records-Occupations/126/

Kath. x

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 5 Sep 2013 14:25

Hello Bruce and welcome to the Community boards. :-)

I'll send Bruce a message on how to find his thread again. :-)