Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

james ireland-devon-oxfordshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharon

Sharon Report 19 Sep 2013 17:45

Edwin James born 1875c Manchester joined the army and married Elizabeth ackers in Brighton in 1903 had their first child in Newcastle in 1905 called Gladys he then went to Athlon Westmeath Ireland while there had Walter and Edwin he was demobbed in 1911 and went to Oxfordshire to his wife's parents but by 1914 he was in Amesbury Wiltshire had at least another 5 children here and I believe he was working back with the army but why the move from Oxfordshire did he join back up or was he to old at 30 I don't think so any ideas any one I know a few of his sons joined the navy.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 19 Sep 2013 18:22

If he was back in the Army one of the 5 childrens birth certs should list his occupation and as WW1 started in 1914 he would be an obvious candidate to be called up because once you have served then you stay on the reservist list for another 5 years and age 30 even today is not too old depending what job you are doing, I was still serving in an infantry unit at age 42

Roy

Sharon

Sharon Report 19 Sep 2013 18:47

Thanks Porkie- pie
I know as my father and husband have both served. on the children's birth certs just state stores which to me suggest army but can not find any record of him going back in I think this was because he was medical discharged in 1911. sorry I put demobbed. I'm trying to find out how he ended back in Porton Wilts.Because I cannot see him as being called back up due to his discharge

Sharon

Sharon Report 19 Sep 2013 19:11

Hes also down as a chef

Sharon

Sharon Report 19 Sep 2013 20:05

anybody know of a family in oxford by the name of Akers ????

Flip

Flip Report 20 Sep 2013 07:12

I think you missed a child in Ireland, and 3 others along the line who have died prior to the 1911 census:

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
James Edwin 36 Male Head of Family Church of England England Soldier Driver R f Read and write - Married - - - -
James Lizzie 30 Female Wife Church of England England - Read and write - Married - 8 7 4 (= married 8 years, 7 children born, 4 children still living)
James Gladys 6 Female Daughter Church of England England Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
James Walter 3 Male Son Church of England Co Westmeath - Cannot read - Single - - - -
James Edwin 1 Male Son Church of England Co Westmeath - Cannot read - Single - - - -
James Mary Female Daughter Church of England Co Louth - Cannot read -

Residents of a house 10 in Barrack Street (Dundalk Urban No. 4, Louth)

Sharon

Sharon Report 20 Sep 2013 12:02

Thanks Flip
I knew about Mary she was born just after he was discharged but before they came back to the Uk she died in 1918.I have a printout of the 1911 census from the Irish records but for some reason its not showing the time married and the children they had so that was a great bit of info. of to find another 3 children between 1903 and 1909 Edwin was born 1909, Walter was born 1908,mary was 1911, and Gladys was 1905 I'm checking his military record to see when he went to Ireland should give me an idea where to start looking. Well that was no help army record is all about his discharge, no mention of where and when he was stationed will see if I can find his Regt movements, which was Royal Field Artillery 130 battery. He apparently was a good cook. off I go

Flip

Flip Report 20 Sep 2013 13:04

Hi Sharon, you can view the census for free & the household image on here:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

if this is where you got the print out you probably forgot to tick the box "show all information"

Sharon

Sharon Report 21 Sep 2013 00:30

Thanks Flip I think that what I would have done

Flip

Flip Report 21 Sep 2013 08:20

I don't think Gladys was their first child - 7 children in 8 years, the maths don't add up unless they had twins.

This could be a possible, birth & death reg same quarter:

Deaths Jun 1903 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

James Frederick Henry 0 Brighton 2b 130

Flip

Flip Report 21 Sep 2013 08:35

You may already have this .......

Edwin James
Probate Date: 22 Apr 1940
Death Date: 16 Mar 1940
Death Place: Wiltshire, England
Registry: Winchester

Of High Street, Porton, admin to his widow Lizzie. £173 7s

Sharon

Sharon Report 23 Sep 2013 21:17

Thanks Flip
I'm waiting for James birth cert to come and I've had Edwin's probate for a few years now. Edwin was my great granddad as my mother never talked about her family I did not know any thing about them just a few tit bits here and there I knew she was bought up by her grandmother while her mother was still living with them but she was quite ill at times. Will not be able to trace her father as he's not on the birth cert but we believe he was in the army, once my mother had passed I have been quite ill on and off so trying to find her family helped me cope with it . and I found them and have spoken to a few of them, have seen a photo of my granma for the first time its been great. She looks just like my mum. I did find out that my grandmother was still alive when my mother passed and she died 6 months later. I do find that I have a habit of getting carried away with it some time but that seem to be the nature of the beast lol. I would like to say a big thank you to you for the bits that you have posted for me , its been great if I can be of any help to you at any time just let me Know I will do my best. most of my research for my family has been in Plymouth, Devon, Somerset and Wiltshire. I have some Family in America as most people seem to. I live in Scotland now.

Flip

Flip Report 27 Sep 2013 08:13

Sorry, you've got me confused now - which birth certificate are you waiting for?

Do you have Edwin/Lizzie's marriage certificate to give his father's name? I see you have your g-grandmother's family details, but there is more than 1 Edwin born in the Manchester area, so to go back from him we may need his fathers name.