Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Downloading a tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 24 Sep 2013 10:52

Is it possible to load a tree onto a memory stick in JPeg or PDF format? Bob

Gai

Gai Report 24 Sep 2013 11:20

Hi Bob,

You can export your tree in a Gedcom format which GR will email to you.

I don't believe you can put your tree from GR directly onto a memory stick in the format you are asking about.

Gai :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Sep 2013 12:01

A tree is a GEDCOM, not a Jpeg or anything else.

If you have an off line tree programme, it is possible to create a tree chart - pedigree, all ancestors/descendents etc, and save it to a memory stick. Even so, I don't think its in a Jpeg format but can be printed out so that the pages can be taped together.

There are various sites where you can upload the tree, then give selected people access.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Sep 2013 14:04

From where?

Inky1

Inky1 Report 24 Sep 2013 17:23

FamilySearch have stopped supporting PAF5 and no longer offer it for download.

Having uploaded a gedcom to a new/blank PAF file the print routine has a tickbox 'print to file'. The output is In the various formats that DET mentions. The file is RTF (rich text format) which can be opened in Word and subsequently resaved as PDF, XPS, DOC etc.. (Well it can with my Office 2007)

I rarely give access to my tree.Instead I use the above process to produce an attachment to send to other GR members who request info. on specific family groups.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 25 Sep 2013 16:15

Just checked and it appears FTM (Family Tree Maker) does actually have the ability to save a chart / report as an image file. All the usual formats including Jpeg, Tiff, Gimp etc would appear to be supported.

Haven't tried it as I use PDF for charts and RTF for reports, as a rule, but will give it a go sometime.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 26 Sep 2013 12:18

Thanks for the replies. My son thinks that if I e-mail the gedcom to his computer he can then convert it to PDF. Regarding FTM, is this a programme that I need to buy? Bob

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Sep 2013 12:24

Bob- its one option and seems popular amongst members. Many of those use their club points from Tesco to purchase it.

If you did buy one, you could load it on your computer, then send the discs to your son by post ;-)

By all means try sending the gedcom to your son by email and see if he can do anything with it without using a tree programme. He might be disappointed!

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 26 Sep 2013 20:21

I presume I can buy FTB from PCWorld? Bob

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Sep 2013 21:01

From PC World's web site, it looks as if you can. Best check with your local store or use the web site's click and collect option.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 27 Sep 2013 07:44

You can open your gedcom with word pad but it will not be in a format that you can understand or resemble a family tree,

If your son can "convert it to PDF" and its a big if, Then I suspect it will look exactly the same as when you open it using word pad.

Example of a tree using word pad

0 HEAD
1 SOUR GRUExport
2 VERS 2.1.43
2 NAME Genes Reunited
2 CORP Genes Reunited Ltd
1 DATE 8 May 2012
2 TIME 08:39:50
1 FILE C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Porkiepie family tree.ged
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED