Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

whites directory

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sally

Sally Report 26 Sep 2013 21:48

please can anybody tell me exactly what it is

thankyou

sally w <3

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 Sep 2013 21:57

If it is the directories that you find on such sites as historical directories then it is a list of businesses, schoools, churches or prominent people such as doctors

Sometimes you get adverts for local businesses

Sort of early Yellow Pages

Sally

Sally Report 26 Sep 2013 22:19

thankyou glitter baby

I had not come across it before

I

sally w <3

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 Sep 2013 22:44

Sally

If you need anything looking up then please post a request

The directories have been scanned in page by page so the quality will vary quite a bit.

You can search the directories but the "hits" are not always what you want.

For example if you search for post office you might get 50 results. When you look at the hits it might only have found the word post or office but not the combination. Also the "hit" is usually highlighted in a pale colour such as yellow so you have to look around the page to find it.

Maureen

Sally

Sally Report 27 Sep 2013 14:02

thanks I will I am going to have a look first

sally w <3