Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I don't understand something.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 Oct 2013 21:45

So could one or more of you help me out.
If a child is born and the parents aren't married, I know that the Father has to be there or register the birth himself for the child to have his surname, so can the Mothers name be put as If she is Mrs.......or is that still have to be her maiden name and if they later marry what if anything needs to be done with the birth cert etc.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 22 Oct 2013 21:59

The child's surname is not on a birth certificate. The father is shown as John Smith, if he is on the certificate at all, and the mother is shown as Mary Smith, formerly Jones, if she is married to John Smith and Mary Jones if she isn't.

They can call the child Smith or Jones - or anything else they want!!

Reggie

Reggie Report 22 Oct 2013 22:56

The father of an illegitimate child has to be present at the registration for his name to be included on the cert. as the child's father.

There is no record on a birth cert of the child's surname.

The mother's name should be recorded as it is........................if she is married to someone else, it should have her name at the time, and 'formerly' her maiden name

If the couple marry subsequently, an amended birth registration can be processed

Reggie

Reggie Report 22 Oct 2013 22:56

Birth Certificate Heading

Entry Number and GRO reference

Column 1 - Date And Place Of Birth

Column 2 - Forenames

Column 3 - Sex

Column 4 - Father's Name

Column 5 - Mother's Name

Column 6 - Father's Occupation

Column 7 - Signature, Description and Residence of the Informant

Column 8 - Date of Registration

Column 9 - Signature of Registrar

Column 10 - Name Given After Initial Registration

Reggie

Reggie Report 22 Oct 2013 22:58

https://www.gov.uk/adding-fathers-name-birth-certificate

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 23 Oct 2013 00:03

Thank you both, that does clarify the situation, in this case the child was born 9 years before the parents married but was known buy the Fathers name, not the Mothers maiden name. :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Oct 2013 00:38

It all depends on what information the parents gave to the registrar and whether or not they told the truth.

We have found out that my husband's parents were not married (because his father had been married already in the 1920's and couldn't get a divorce). However my husband's and his brother's birth certificates are written in a way that would suggest the parents were indeed married. Both children have their father's surname and their mother is given as Mrs.............., formerly........... indicating that she was married when she was not.

I don 't think it would happen today but in the past you didn't have to prove you were married - I certainly didn't when I registered the births of my sons in the 70's.

Kath. x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Oct 2013 13:26

Just to add..
Present day birth certificates DO have child's surname recorded in section 2

jax

jax Report 24 Oct 2013 13:43

I have one from 1844 where the parents were not married to each other....eventually married 20+ years later (both as widow/widower)

The birth cert does not mention her previous married name so looks like they are a married couple.

They had seven more children all given the fathers name so would imagine their birth certs are the same

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Oct 2013 15:15

We had an intestacy issue with a similar problem. In the end the children (and their heirs) born after the marriage were not entitled to the estate of the daughter of the child born before the marriage.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/tips_board/thread/1250863

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 24 Oct 2013 21:40

I've sent for the birth cert as at the moment it is looking like the Father was 13 when the child was born (1913) the marriage took place 9 years later two more children were born 1922 and 1924 all appear to have the same parents, but hay ho, worse things happen at sea :-0

jax

jax Report 24 Oct 2013 22:12

If the father was only 13... I find it hard to believe he would have been mentioned on a childs birth cert...although back then boys could marry at 14 and girls 12 with consent