Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MARION ABBOTT

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 26 Oct 2013 09:25

Hi i am searching for any info on the above name.my husband has got his origianal birth certificate, and it states she was his birth mother.He was adopted out when he was 3.5/4 it also states where she had him,11 belle vue its a home for unmarried mothers. she lived at 22 hawkhill avenue GUISELEY yorkshire, if anyone can help it would be greatly appriceated thank you :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Oct 2013 09:47

Your husband should add himself to the national adoption contact register

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register?

Susan

Susan Report 26 Oct 2013 10:51

ok thank you very much :)

patchem

patchem Report 26 Oct 2013 15:01

Could you give us your husband's year of birth, and whether there was any more information about her in his adoption records - age, middle initial?

Thank-you

Added:
Born 1966 or 1943?

Flip

Flip Report 26 Oct 2013 15:17

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/leisure/Pages/Local-and-family-history-service.aspx

I think they may hold the electoral rolls, it may be worth asking them for a lookup a couple of years each side of you husbands birth to see if her family were at the address given on the birth cert. According to the site they will do limited lookups for free, if you e-mail them.

Susan

Susan Report 26 Oct 2013 16:03

Hi yes patchem his birth details are 07/01/1948 we havent got his adoption records at the moment that is the next step.his mother was Marion Abbott, i cant find her anywhere :(

Susan

Susan Report 26 Oct 2013 16:11

i dont have her date of birth sorry,
:-(

Susan

Susan Report 26 Oct 2013 16:12

she did work as a stem worker at the lampworks dont know if that helps

Flip

Flip Report 26 Oct 2013 16:19

Hi Susan,as you haven't already got the adoption files - you can apply here - it's a free service. The adoption files should give you more to go on.

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/accessing-your-birth-records

Hopefully the file should give you a fair bit of info, considering his age 3-4 at adoption, maybe he was in a children's home? Also try checking with Barnardos see if he was in one of their homes. Or Caritas, if the mother/baby unit was catholic.

It would definitly be worth checking the electoral rolls a couple of years either side of 1948 - the more info you have on Marion's family the better, she may not appear on the ERs if she was under 21, but other family members may.

Good luck

Flip

Flip Report 26 Oct 2013 16:26

11 Belle vue, was that the maternity home in Manningham, Bradford? If so, expectant mothers were sent there from many areas and it was CofE, not catholic, so Caritas will probably not be able to help.

However, you have the Guiseley address to make a start. Send Leeds RO an e-mail, it can't hurt.

Susan

Susan Report 26 Oct 2013 16:30

thank you so much for your help flip :)we are waiting for an interview to see his adoption file fingers crossed it will give us some more info :)

Susan

Susan Report 26 Oct 2013 16:32

yes 11 belle vue was a maternity home

Susan

Susan Report 26 Oct 2013 16:35

how can you check the electoral rolls for 1948 ?

Flip

Flip Report 26 Oct 2013 17:00

The ERs are only searchable in the local records office, and by address - which is why I posted the link to Leeds RO (post 15:17). There's an e-mail address to contact them, or if you are local you can go in and look for yourself.

Susan

Susan Report 26 Oct 2013 19:07

ok thank you very much for the information :-)