Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with a look up Alexander Young in NI please?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tanya

Tanya Report 5 Nov 2013 10:00

I'm looking for the parents of Alexander Cecil Young. I believe he was in County Down. Maybe Helen's Bay area.

Birth registered 1st qtr 1888. (Familysearch)

Marriage to Margaret Hilliard Lawlor, registered Belfast, last qtr 1911. (Familysearch)

Child Samuel Alexander birth 14 February 1913 (Helen's Bay), registered Newtownards. (Familysearch)

I have looked on every Irish genealogy site I've been able to find. Family Search is the only one I have had any luck with. However, I have not been able to find any records of Alexander's parents in any records online. No online Irish records give parents names. I can't order his birth certificate because I need his mother's name. Other than travel to Belfast to look it up (too expensive!) I'm at a loss.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tanya

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Nov 2013 10:09

Buy his marriage cert.....it should name his father

Why do you need the mother's name to order the birth cert?

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/gro

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 5 Nov 2013 12:11

Reggie, it does specify on the form that you need parents' names. I find this a bit weird when it applies to very old certs, as the only reason to order them is to find out this info isn't it!

Maybe our Irish experts can help.

Tanya, have you checked to see if anyone else has him on their tree?

Jan

alviegal

alviegal Report 5 Nov 2013 12:54

Just putting this as a maybe.

Web: Ireland, Census, 1911 about Alexander Young
Name: Alexander Young
Birth Year: abt 1888
Relation to Head: Son
Residence Date: 2 Apr 1911
Residence Place: Church Road, Hollywood Urban, Down, Ireland
Household Members:
Name Age
Robert Young 59
Eleanor Young 45
Alexander Young 23
Harry Young 21
Roberta Young 20
Daisy Young 18
Annie Kiernan 27
Kate Kiernan 24
Mary Kelly 40

and I know you have this.

Ireland, Civil Registration Births Index, 1864-1958 about Alexander Cecil Young
Name: Alexander Cecil Young
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1888
Registration District: Belfast
Birth Country: Ireland
Volume: 1
Page: 415
FHL Film Number: 101062

alviegal

alviegal Report 5 Nov 2013 12:56

Margaret is in the same area. From http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

Residents of a house 81 in Downshire Road (Hollywood Urban, Down)
Show all information
Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
Lawlor William Hamilton 60 Male Head of Family Church of Ireland Co Derry Insurance and General Agent Read and write - Married - 28 5 5
Lawlor Mary Ellen 59 Female Wife Church of Ireland Co Down - Read and write - Married - 28 5 5
Lawlor Anne Alice 27 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Co Antrim - Read and write - Single - - - -
Lawlor Margaret Hilliard 22 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Co Antrim - Read and write - Single - - - -
Campbell Charlotte Beatrice 36 Female Servant Presbyterian Co Monaghan General Servant Domestic Read and write - Single - - - -

Residents of a house 14 in Craigavad (Holywood, Down)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Lawlor Millicent Mary 16 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Antrim Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Lawlor Catherine Dorothea 15 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Antrim Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Lawlor Joan Hilliard 13 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Antrim Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Lawlor Margaret Hilliard 12 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Antrim Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Lawlor William Hamilton 50 Male Head of Family Church of Ireland Derry Insurance Agent Read and write - Married -
Keating Maria 18 Female Servant Roman Catholic Armagh General Servant-Domestic Read and write - Not Married -
Lawlor Mary Ellen 48 Female Wife Church of Ireland Down - Read and write - Married -

alviegal

alviegal Report 5 Nov 2013 13:03

Residents of a house 27 in Church Road (Hollywood Urban, Down)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
Young Robert 59 Male Head of Family Church of Ireland Co Antrim Distiller Read and write - Married - - - -
Young Eleanor 45 Female Wife Church of Ireland Co Antrim - Read and write - Married - 6 - -
Young Alexander 23 Male Son Church of Ireland Co Down Distiller Apprentice Read and write - Single - - - -
Young Harry 21 Male Son Church of Ireland Co Down Insurance Apprentice Read and write - Single - - - -
Young Roberta 20 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Co Down - Read and write - Single - - - -
Young Daisy 18 Female Daughter Church of Ireland Co Down - Read and write - Single - - - -
Kiernan Annie 27 Female Servant Roman Catholic Co Cavan Domestic Servant Parlour Maid Read and write - Single - - - -
Kiernan Kate 24 Female Servant Roman Catholic Co Cavan Domestic Servant House Maid Read and write - Single - - - -
Kelly Mary 40 Female Servant Roman Catholic Co Galway Cook Domestic Servant Read and write - Married - 23 1 1

Residents of a house 26 in Church Road (Holywood Urban, Down)

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Murphy Mary 30 Female Cook Roman Catholic Louth Cook Servant Domestic Yes - Not Married -
Young Minnie R 10 Female Daughter Episcopalian Antrim - Yes - Not Married -
Young Daisy 8 Female Daughter Episcopalian Antrim - Yes - Not Married -
Bowden Elinor 36 Female Governess Prespyterian Antrim General Domestic Servt Yes - Not Married -
Young Robert 49 Male Head of Family Episcopalian Antrim Distiller Yes - Married -
Coyle Mary 22 Female Servant Roman Catholic Cavan Domestic Servant Yes - Not Married -
Murphy Margret 24 Female Servant Roman Catholic Louth Domestic Servant Yes - Not Married -
Young Arthur F 6 Male Son Episcopalian Antrim - Yes - Not Married -
Young Harry 11 Male Son Episcopalian Antrim Scholar Yes - Not Married -
Young Clive 5 Male Son Episcopalian Antrim - Neither read nor write - Not Married -
Young Mary J B 46 Female Wife Roman Catholic Antrim - Yes - Married -

alviegal

alviegal Report 5 Nov 2013 13:18

It might help to get the MC and find out what Alexander's occupation was and who his father was.

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958 about Margaret Hilliard Lawlor
Name: Margaret Hilliard Lawlor
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1911
Page Number: 317
FHL Film Number: 101262
Alexander Cecil Young

alviegal

alviegal Report 5 Nov 2013 13:26

The Robert in the 1901 census above may have married the governess so that doesn't help with who Alexander's mother was.

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958 about Robert Young
Name: Robert Young
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1905
Page Number: 255
FHL Film Number: 101260
Records on Page:
Name
John Charles Halfpenny
Robert Young
Charles Alexander Denny
Cara Crosbie Oates
Charles Alexander Genuchi
Elizabeth Anne Whiteley
>>>Eleanor Bowden :-(

alviegal

alviegal Report 5 Nov 2013 13:41

Minnie Roberta married at the same time as Anne Alice.

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958 about Minnie Roberta Young
Name: Minnie Roberta Young
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1913
Page Number: 261
FHL Film Number: 101262
Records on Page:
Name
>Anne Alice Lawlor
>>>>Minnie Roberta Young
Matthew Ellis
Sidney John Frazer
Elizabeth Baird
>>>>George Jevers Carolin
Maria Kathleen Megaw
Louis Warden Crooks

Potty

Potty Report 5 Nov 2013 14:49

Tanya, as the events were pre-partition, you can order the certs from the Irish (not Ulster) GRO. This site explains how. As you have the volume and page Nos from familysearch you will not need MMN to order a birth cert.

http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

Potty

Potty Report 5 Nov 2013 14:59

Date of Marriage
4 Nov 1911
Groom Name alexander cecil YOUNG

Bride Name margaret hilliard LAWLOR
Church Holywood Church of Ireland
ParishHolywood
Civil District Belfast
County Down

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Nov 2013 16:35

Tanya

Do the sites you have looked at include.....................

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

1901 and 1911 censuses.................

Tanya

Tanya Report 5 Nov 2013 16:48

Reggie thanks for link. I was going to order the MC a couple of years ago but, because I couldn't order online then, it was a hassle.

Brummiejan, yes I have checked other trees. Only one person matches but is only interested in the Lawors .

Thank you ***alviegal*** for taking the time to note all that info for me. Phew! :)

Potty thanks for the link and the marriage info for Alexander and Margaret.

On Sam's wedding cert Alexander's occupation is a Commercial Clerk. On Alexander's death cert it states he was a distiller.( I have these certs because they came to England some time after Sam's birth.) I see on the 1911 census he was a Distiller's apprentice and, Robert was a distiller.
I'm guessing that when he came to England he became a clerk. My mother-in-law registered his death, I really don't know why she put Distiller.

I have just taken a look at the cost of a cert now. :-0 Wow €20 plus postage, twice as much as UK certs cost!

Thanks again.

Potty

Potty Report 6 Nov 2013 11:55

Tanya, if you look at the section about ordering by post, you can get a photocopy of the entry for 4 Euros and can asked for it to be emailed to you. This link should take you straight to the page:

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Apply-for-Certificates.aspx

Click on the link to open the application form for the type of cert you want and details of ordering show the 4 Euros info.

Maura

Maura Report 6 Nov 2013 12:14

Date of Marriage 04/11/1911 Holywood C.O.I Co. Down

Husband ALEXANDER CECIL YOUNG
Address MARMION HOLYWOOD
Occupation GENTLEMAN
Age 24
Marital Status Bachelor
Father ROBERT YOUNG
Father's Occupation GENTLEMAN

Wife MARGARET HILLIARD LAWLOR
Address FAULRUCK HOLYWOOD
Age 23
Marital Status Spinster
Father WILLIAM HAMILTON LAWLOR
Father's Occupation GENTLEMAN
Witnesses HAROLD YOUNG & JOAN H LAWLOR

Maura

Maura Report 6 Nov 2013 12:27

Title : Date of Death : 7 July 1914
Surname : Young Date of Grant : 23 September 1914
Forename : Robert Reseal Date :
Registry : Belfast Effects : Effects £15,132 4s. 2d.
No Image

Full Abstract :
Administration of the Estate of Robert Young late of Marmion Church Road Hollywood County Down Merchant who died 7 July 1914 granted at Belfast to Eleanor Young the Widow.

Robert Young married Eleanor Bowden in 1905 his father was a Samuel

Maura

Maura Report 6 Nov 2013 16:15

According to this post his mother was a Mary Jane Boyle Gilmore
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/IRL-BELFAST-CITY/2006-05/1147724349

Maura

Maura Report 6 Nov 2013 16:22

This has alot of information of the Youngs
http://www.worldfamilies.net/forum/index.php?topic=9620.0;wap2

Tanya

Tanya Report 6 Nov 2013 16:26

Reggie, yes I have tried the census website but I got 'no result' when I entered Alexander Cecil or Alexander C.

Potty, thank you for the info about the €4 photo copies. I did see it on the form but I thought that it would just be the same as what I found on Familysearch, with the FHL number etc. I shall definitely order these if all info is given.

Maura, thank you for the MC and probate info. Interesting about Robert marrying Eleanor in 1905. I assume from that and what ***alviegal*** found in the census' that she almost certainly wasn't Alexander's mother. I'm not sure what a 'Gentleman' did, apart from being very rich! Lol. Robert sure left a lot of money.

Tanya

Tanya Report 6 Nov 2013 17:09

Maura, thank you for the last two links. I missed them as I was composing my reply at the time.