Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 nursing home-info wanted please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gaynor

Gaynor Report 10 Nov 2013 14:10

Any idea's

it was said that during WW1 my grandmother helped wondered soldiers in a nursing home in Cheshire ( this would have been around Bunbury, Acton area by Nantwich) This is where she met her 2nd husband apparently ( my granddad died a ypres in 1915). I have tried all sorts of searches to no avail,

Can anyone see if they can find or know of any record of a military hospital or nursing home for WW1 soldiers in the Cheshire area? :-)

Cheers - Gaynor

Potty

Potty Report 10 Nov 2013 14:42

Are there any large houses in the area? Quite often these were used as hospitals then. Is there an address for your grandmother on the marriage cert? Nurses quite often lived in.

Have you looked for her 2nd husband's Army record? That would have details of where he was nursed.

Gaynor

Gaynor Report 10 Nov 2013 15:36

Good Points Potty.
I have looked at the history of local manor houses etc, and at the history of Military hospitals. A good bet is my step- granddads army records so I will try and find out his service no.

I am interested when they actually met, as when she remarried, she remarried as a spinster and not widow. She married Tom in 1921 in Cheshire and then moved back to Stratford which was Tom's home town

My granddads grave say's the following

In Memory of
Private A BEBBINGTON

7084, 1st Bn., King's Shropshire Light Infantry
who died age 28
on 23 June 1915
Husband of Alice Deacon (formerly Bebbington), of 13, Percy St., Stratford-on-Avon.
Remembered with honour
POTIJZE BURIAL GROUND CEMETERY

The put Alice's new married surname on his grave as she remarried a Tom Deacon ( her maiden name was actually Alice Edge before she married Albert Bebbington.

So, I want to know when and where Alice met Tom ?

An interesting story!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 10 Nov 2013 15:55

Do you have her first marriage?

Marriages Mar 1913 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bebbington Albert Edge Nantwich 8a 546
Edge Alice Bebbington Nantwich 8a 546

Gaynor

Gaynor Report 10 Nov 2013 16:22

Thanks Margee

I did have this and then her 2nd marriage to Tom when my dad as about 9. Wanted to see why Tom was in Cheshire for so long after the war ended, before they moved to Stratford where he was born. The family always said it was because he was convalescing after his surgery so have been trying to track down where he was. may never know. Just found out the church hall in Acton was used as a nursing home so maybe a connection there I will pursue.

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 10 Nov 2013 17:26

Bebbington, A
[IMAGE] Potijze Burial Ground Cemetery - Bebbington, A
Cemetery: Potijze Burial Ground Cemetery

Area: Ieper West-Vlaanderen

Official Number: 7084

Unit: 1st Bn. King's Shropshire Light Infantry.

Force: Army

Nationality: British

Details:
23rd June 1915. Age 28. Husband of Alice Deacon (formerly Bebbington) of 13 Percy St. Stratford-on-Avon. Z. 13.

Photograph and details by volunteer/s: Rudy van Kerckhoven

The War Graves Photographic Project have photographed his headstone, you can obtain copies etc , but they do ask for a donation, see link for details etc.

Link

http://twgpp.org/information.php?id=2627902

Or you can ask on this site, they say they have photos of all headstones etc

This is free just follow the info on the link

http://www.britishwargraves.co.uk/page8.htm

George

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Nov 2013 18:01

Is there a local history group in the area? They might be able to help find a possible war time nursing home

Andrew

Andrew Report 10 Nov 2013 18:25

You need to visit Sue Light's website on WW1 Nurses at
www.scarletfinders.co.uk
she has a list of all the hospitals at the time

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 10 Nov 2013 18:49

(wonder if below)

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920
Name: Tom Deacon
Regiment or Corps: 1st Wiltshire Regiment
Regimental Number: 4326

UK, Silver War Badge Records, 1914-1920
Name: Tom Deacon
Discharge Unit: Wilts Regt.
Regiment Number: 4326
Badge Number: 7091
Unit: Infantry (Exeter)
Piece: 3016
List Number: C 0001-0300
Record Group: WO
Record Class: 329
(Cause of Discharge, Wounds. Served Overseas, Yes. Date of Enlistment, 21/10/95. Date of Discharge, 5/6/16)

Chris :)

Historical Background

The British Empire lost more than 700,000 service personnel killed in World War 1. An even greater number were discharged because of wounds or illness. In September 1916, King George V authorized the Silver War Badge (SWB) to honor all military personnel who had served at home or overseas since 4 August 1914 and who had been discharged because of wounds or illness. The SWB was a small, circular badge made of sterling silver, bearing the king’s initials, a crown, and the inscriptions ‘For King and Empire’ and ‘Services Rendered’.
The SWB was not simply an honor; it also served a practical purpose. At the time, men of military age who were not obviously in the service were sometimes accosted or insulted by civilians presenting them with white feathers — a symbol of cowardice — for shirking their patriotic duty. The badge served as an outward symbol that the wearer’s duty to country had been honorably fulfilled.

edits (might tie in with below)

DEACON, Tom Single ? 34 (34 YEARS) 1877 Wiltshire Wroughton
RG number: RG14
Piece: 34977
Reference: RG14PN34977 RD641 SD2 ED2 SN9999
Registration District:
Sub District:
Enumeration District: 2
Parish:
Address: Pretermaritzburg Natal South Africa
County: Overseas military
1st Battn Wiltshire Regiment, 1ST BATTALION WILTSHIRE REGIMENT, PIETERMARITZBURG, NATAL, SOUTH AFRICA
Military details: Corporal