Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

name change

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 12 Nov 2013 10:24

Hi my name is Heather I'm having trouble finding out about some of my ancestors that have changed their birth names. Would anyone know how I would be able to find this out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Heather Woods

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Nov 2013 10:35

Welcome to the Boards Heather.

If you'd like to give us some names and details of the records that you 'do' have, we can all have a look on your behalf.

Have you considered that they may have taken a step-father's name, or emigrated as adults? Depending on the circumstances, children could also have been adopted out of the birth family. There is also the problem of poor transcriptions of census etc.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Nov 2013 13:39

What do you mean by 'changed' their names?

What leads you to think that this happened? Other than by marriage (for the females).

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 13 Nov 2013 13:27

As this is Heather's first post, I will let her know that she has replies to her query. :-)