Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

mothers birth details

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 18 Nov 2013 21:07

Hi I'm trying to find where my mother was born and can't find any record of her birth. I saw her birth certificate years ago and found it weird. It said something like she was born to the army. Does anyone know what it means? I want to trace my mother side of the family, and have very little to go on except her parents name, and dont even know my grandmother maiden name. Any ideas.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 18 Nov 2013 21:35

Welcome to the boards Geraldine.
How much info do you have. What year was your mother born.
What was your mothers name.

Sylvia

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 18 Nov 2013 21:36

It is a lot easier to help with a concrete question than a hypothetical one. :-) But you may very well not want to put your family's personal information here and that is entirely understandable!

If you know your grandfather's full name and your grandmother's given names(s) you can search for a marriage here:

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

for instance

surname SMITH
first name(s) JOHN HENRY
spouse surname [leave blank]
spouse first name(s) JANE

If you have less common names, and an idea of the time and place, you may be able to find it.

Did your mother have brothers or sisters? Search for births the same way as for the marriage, but just the two names (if you have been able to find your grandmother's surname):

surname SMITH
mother surname BROWN

It sounds like your mother's birth would be in the separate index for military births. Someone else can probably tell you where those records can be found, as I am not sure where to find those things. That would tell you her mother's surname for sure.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 18 Nov 2013 22:31

You can do a basic search on here. Point your cursor at Search, (top right above,) then click on "Births". Scroll down the left hand side of the screen and click on "British Nationals born overseas". (I assume she is British?)

Then put her details in the Search boxes. You will get a basic list, which should give the place where the birth was registered. If you are a platinum member you can view the actual GRO register. Otherwise, you can ask someone who is to look for you.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Nov 2013 22:51

Military births are on FMP

The URL for freebmd is

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 18 Nov 2013 23:03

or the one I gave above that I prefer :-)

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

(I forget why now but I think because you can go directly to the search page)

FMP is

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/armed-forces/births

and you can search there without paying but need to pay to see details. I knew they were there I just didn't look far enough for the link!

if you find a marriage that looks likely, you can test it by searching armed forces births for your mother's name and include the possible surname of her mother and click 'exact search'.

Oh, but the mother's surname is only in the index from 1966 onwards, so before that you have to see the record or maybe the actual certificate, I don't know.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Nov 2013 11:32

If you know her parents names have you looked for a marriage for them??

Could that have been an overseas military marriage too ??

Our grandaughter was born in Germany where her father was based in the Army at the time. Her birth is on the overseas Army Indices .

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Nov 2013 11:33

Presume too your grandparents have passed away have you looked for their death records?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Nov 2013 11:42

If you want any help then some give some names on here,or by PM if the person/s are still alive

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 19 Nov 2013 15:33

I have just sent Geraldine a PM on how to get back to her thread.

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 26 Nov 2013 18:18

Hi
Many Thanks to all who responded. I could do with help. My mum is no longer with us and she only has 2 sister and a brother alive who I have no knowledge of how to contact them. My mums name was Josephine Joyce Adams at birth and ~DOB was 10th June 1932. I only got to see her birth certification briefly many years again and never found it when I cleared her property. As far as I know my grandad (her dad) was a miner but his brother was serving in India and family secret was his brother was in the army in india and had an affair where a child was born and my grandparents had recently married so they had the child (my mum). Not sure how true. Her birth certificate had a passage in the back which said something like 'born to the army' Does anyone know what that means? I would also like to know her mothers maiden name. Grandparents John Adams born about 1901 and Ina Adams born about 1902.

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 26 Nov 2013 18:59

As yet no one knows but stay with us and we will try to help

And welcome :-D

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 26 Nov 2013 19:10

Do you have any idea what part of the country her grandparents were from?

alviegal

alviegal Report 26 Nov 2013 19:24

Only marriage I'm seeing for a John and Ina. Of course Ina could be short for something else?

Civil Registration event: Marriage

MarriageFinder: John B Adams married Ina W Yeates
Name: ADAMS, John B
Registration district: Ripon
County: Yorkshire
Year of registration: 1939
Quarter of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Spouse's last name: Yeates
Volume no: 9A
Page no: 223

patchem

patchem Report 26 Nov 2013 19:25

Is this your Mother's marriage?
Marriages Jun 1955
ADAMS Josephine J EVERITT Atherstone 9c 59
and did your grandparents live and die locally to there?

patchem

patchem Report 26 Nov 2013 19:30

Is her name definitely 'Ina' not 'Ena'?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Nov 2013 20:02

Your mums birth isn't listed in the the army births .

If she was illigimate . You said her dad was supposed to have had an affair , the army wouldn't register her birth .

Maybe her birth was registered locally and the note of the army was noted on the back as a ref.

She isn't listed in overseas births either indicating that her birth wasn't reg at the
British consulate .

Who was her dad reputed to be?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 26 Nov 2013 20:12

I wonder whether Ina could have been Ida.

Ida Chesters was born 1897 in Atherstone (as in the marriage Patchem posted)
and married John F Adams in 1930 in Basford. That fits with 'recently married' in 1932.

problem would be that there don't seem to be births to that marriage ...

that Ida could have died 1996 Nottingham or 1971 Chesterfield ...

Geraldine it really would help if you would give a little more information, especially the question about where in England your parents and grandparents came from or lived.

What would really help is if you would send one of us the information you have about your mum's brothers and sisters, their names and about when and where they were born.

With that info it should be possible to find their mother's surname fairly easily. I will volunteer if you like. :-) Then I would just report the surname back here. (Just click on a name to send a message privately, since the people are living so their details should not be put here on the boards.)

edit, I think we are in the right general area geography wise going by the marriage Patchem posted and Geraldine's birth :-)

patchem

patchem Report 26 Nov 2013 21:22

Geraldine has 'Ina Adams, 1902' in her tree on here.

So if she were really Ida it does not look like a simple typing error.

She also has John Adams, 1931.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Nov 2013 22:15

I wonder!

Marriages Mar 1931
Adams John Handley Birmingham S. 6d 29

Handley Ada M Adams Birmingham S. 6d 29

There is a birth for a John Adams mmn Handley 1931

There is a daughter & another son born to the same couple . Look on FreeBMD

Births Jun 1905
Handley Ada Mary Chester le S. 10a 607