Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fathers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 30 Dec 2013 04:14

Have you tried looking for baptisms for the children/ we have one that was born under the mothers name but was baptised and the fathers name was there plain as day.

Tawny

Tawny Report 16 Dec 2013 00:48

Thank you will check that out.

Tawny

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 15 Dec 2013 21:59

If the child was registered with the fathers name, it would suggest that the father gave his consent to be named on the birth cert. ( did he sign it?)

If an RCE was issued to include the father's name, it means a paternity case was raised and found in the mother's favour.

Have you checked Poor Relief records to see if the mother made a claim for assistance?

If she did, and was already getting financial aid from the named father, it would be noted on the PR claim.

Personally, I gleaned masses of info about my own family based on their PR claims.

Tawny

Tawny Report 15 Dec 2013 21:27

I did check the RCE and only one child has any record of a father. Margaret was always living in the same block of flats as her parents so it's possible they helped out with the children.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 15 Dec 2013 20:28

Did you check the birth registrations for RCE (Register of Corrected Entries)? Sometimes when no father is named on the birth registration, the mother goes to court to prove paternity.

From personal experience OHs Great grandmother had 7 children (4 different fathers). OHs grandfather was register in his mother's surname as was his grandaunt. Great grandmother had paternity proved and this is noted on an RCE. The next two sons she had with the same father just got their father's surname as a middle name - guess she got fed up going to court. She doesn't appear on any census with the father of these 4 children (or indeed any father of her first six children). Incidentally she never married and the fathers of her children were all free to marry.

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 15 Dec 2013 18:19

Was he prehaps in the navy army or something else that kept him from home

Tawny

Tawny Report 15 Dec 2013 13:29

I haven't found him on my other census records. I imagine Margaret must have been a very tough lady to have raised the five boys quite possibly alone.

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 15 Dec 2013 13:17

1880 I dont think so !!!!

But he may have been hiding in which case unless you are sure you have found him living in another place ie in 1881 and 1891 the he MAY have been with her anyway

In those days I dont think they cared BUT it does make you think about how she alone supported them all

Tawny

Tawny Report 15 Dec 2013 12:44

My great grandmothers sister Margaret Lindsay never married but had five children (all boys) between 1880 and 1899 in the county of Angus, Scotland. One of the boys birth certificates names the father and the child was registered with his fathers surname. Margaret is always living alone with her sons on the census records but does the inclusion of the father on the birth certificate mean he provided financially for the child?