Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CDU

CDU Report 24 Jan 2014 15:20

Hi I have sent messages to People who are researching our family
tree . the thing is nobody seems to open them or reply.
Have they all left genesunited.
Regards CDU.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Jan 2014 15:32

They could well have . if you dont delete your tree before leaving or not renewing then it will stay on the site.

It can be frustrating . Also if someone doesnt keep the same email address that they gave when joining Genes then no messages will get through to them .

We have all had the non repliers ,but I also have someone who replied 10 months later because they hadnt had a PC for some time .

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Jan 2014 15:39

Your guess is as good as anyone else's

How long have you waited for replies?

Not everyone looks at their computers on a daily basis

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 24 Jan 2014 22:53

It also depends what you put in your message.

Are you using Genes' generic auto messages (e.g. the Family Tree Request) or are you typing a proper message about the possible match you have and stating what your interest/connection is? Personally, when I receive a

"Dear MarieCeleste,

Please would you give me access to view your tree?

Best Regards,"

message I just delete it without replying. If someone can't be bothered to say what the common interest is then I can't be bothered to reply. I'm not just going to let any Tom, Dick or Harry view my tree unless I know the connection.

Genes boast of having 13 million members - they don't say how many are active members. I wonder how many are even still alive? If someone opened an account, started a tree and then died then their account would revert to a free account when the subs weren't paid but they'd still be counted as a member. Their next of kin may have no idea how to access the account to terminate it, or may not even be aware of it's existence.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 25 Jan 2014 13:59

And also there are a multitude of trees on here with less than 10 people on them. I know when I had a tree on here I was given access to many a tree with 2 - 10 people on them!!!

I would say on average there are probably only about half the amount of 'valid' trees that they claim to have. Through various reasons. And the member dying is probably one of the most likely.

Many of us only start this when we retire, or like me after all my family have died!!! :-)