Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1921 census

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 25 Jan 2014 16:26

I cant wait I,ve got so many brickwalls which I hope to solve with it !!!!

This is the last census we are getting till 2051 ...if we make it!!!!

Are you waiting for the magic of 2021

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 25 Jan 2014 20:35

To be honest, no. I feel that unless you have a really common surname it cannot be that hard to follow on. Even the 1911 left us with many queries, especially when it came to the number of chldren who had died!!!

I have far too many brick walls in the past which I am slowly breaking down.

:-D

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jan 2014 22:30

More likely to be 2022 - if at all..................

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Jan 2014 10:20

For the 1921 census to be released there will have to be a change in the law.

Its a bit complicated and I am sure that someone on here will be able to explain.

But I know that the rules on release were changed for the 1921 census.

And if that is the case, there are far more important issues for our government to deal with than this.

Alan

Alan Report 26 Jan 2014 14:16

Make the most of this one because the 1931 were destroyed;

On the night of Saturday 19 December 1942, there was a fire at a store in Hayes, Middlesex. The store, the responsibility of the Office of Works, contained a large amount of furniture but in addition it contained the census records for England & Wales for 1931, that is the whole of the schedules, enumeration books and plans. They were all completely destroyed.

Tracey

Tracey Report 26 Jan 2014 14:44

I would like the census to be released early for obvious reasons but it wont be and think this is only right. There are some people who were still alive in 1921 and it is not fair on them for details to be revealed IMHO.

Tracey

Ken2

Ken2 Report 27 Jan 2014 13:20

There is a petition to try to get the 1921 census released earlier than 2022.

I fully agree with Tracey regarding personal privacy but not sure how a happy compromise could be reached.

The petition is on the e-government website and so far has about 4000 names.

Here's the link:
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/49199

Frederick

Frederick Report 27 Jan 2014 15:47

Apparently the fire at Hayes wasn't due to enemy action,
but a cigarette end discarded by firewatchers.

http://www.1901census.com/1931-census/

F.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Jan 2014 15:56

Only the English and Welsh censuses were destroyed.

The Scottish one for 1931 was stored in Edinburgh, and is therefore intact.
Presumably it will be released in due course.

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 28 Jan 2014 17:34

I too would love to see the 1921 census because I would love to find out where my two granddads lived. A very large brick wall I have hit.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Jan 2014 05:06

it's an 1821 census that I would love to see :-D

I honestly don't think I have any brick walls, or even thin hedge, still remaining to be broken down by the 1921

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 30 Jan 2014 13:35

That's 'cos you can nearly remember it Sylvs.... :-D :-D :-D

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jan 2014 14:13

Something as recent as 1921 should not be a brick wall................

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Jan 2014 21:13

Cyns ..................

:-P :-P :-P

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 30 Jan 2014 21:15

:-D :-D :-D

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 30 Jan 2014 22:33

That's quite a sweeping statement Reggie :-) if only it were the case.....
my brickwall is likely to be breeched ONLY with the help of the 1921 census. In fact I am pinning my every hope on it.

My brickwall, my elusive grandfather, has not been found by the usual methods - no birth registration, no death registration, no will or probate record, no rmilitary record, no ships passenger lists, no passport application, no census returns, no school records, no nothing.
EDIT: I have no clue where he was born.

He married my grandma in Oct 1920 (I have the cert) and he appears on Electoral Registers only for the years 1921-1927 when they lived at her parents' address. Then he disappeared.
Consequently I feel sure he will be listed on the 1921 census.
That should give me his birth place, and then I'll discover what town/area/country he was from. And then I will know just where in the world to concentrate my further research.

I have exhausted every other channel; I have been searching for over 20 years and this is why I SO need to see the 1921 census. ;-) :-S

Desperate in the Desert, Karen

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 30 Jan 2014 23:01

I also need the 1921 to discover where my Great Grandmother was from as I am unable to find her in 1901 and 1911. To save explaining it all again, see here:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1130033

Rose

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 31 Jan 2014 18:04

Rose, She and my elusive Grandfather probably ran off together ! :-D :-D

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 31 Jan 2014 18:57

Like many of you I,m needing to know where my great grandad is from I hope the 1921 census will tell me!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Jan 2014 19:40

I guess there is a difference due to age!!

My MOTHER and my FATHER are both on the 1911 census ......................... so I have their parents, and mother's maternal grandfather.

I knew both maternal grandparents, and all but one of their 3 children ........... an uncle died in his teens in 1928. My brother and I were the only grandchildren.

I never knew either of Dad's parents ............... his father died in 1914 and his mother in 1938, both dates before I was born. But I did know all his siblings and their children.

I literally have no really lost important direct ancestors .............. until we get to the 5 x gt grandfather who appeared fully fledged at his marriage in 1740 :-D