Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family tree usefulness

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Arwen

Arwen Report 27 Jan 2014 12:30

Have you all seen that www.change.org is petitioning that mother's names should be added to marriage certificates.

Think how useful that would be and please sign it! I have personal reasons too... I brought up my kids unaided but cannot be on the certificates.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/mother-s-names-should-be-on-marriage-certificates?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Jan 2014 15:50

Just for info:
Scottish marriage certificates have included mothers' names since 1855.

Gee

Gee Report 27 Jan 2014 16:14

I just had a look at that site and when I went to sign it showed up my full name, house number and post code

I hadn't entered anything. How did it have my details?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Jan 2014 17:05

Ooh, spooky!
It didn't do that with me, thank goodness!

Big Brother's watching you, Gins!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Jan 2014 17:54

There would be some sense in this change.................at least most people know who their mothers are....................an awful lot have no idea who fathered them.

Actually, Arwen, you can be on the marriage certs of your children, if you stand as a Witness

The Meercat

The Meercat Report 27 Jan 2014 20:35

The mothers name is on my great grandmothers marriage certificate where
it sames fathers name so it must of been possible in 1898.
Perhaps the vicar was scared of them.

Meercat. ;-)

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 27 Jan 2014 22:28

Ah.... aren't we Scots the lucky ones? Our marriage and death certificates have given the mother's name including her maiden surname (if it is known) since statutory registration began here in 1855.

We lost out a bit though as we were 18 years behind England and Wales with statutory registration.