Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lost child!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 31 Jan 2014 00:45

Hi there,

This may be a long shot, but i'm at the end of my rope and i've tried everything I can think of to find this person. So i'm asking for any help any off you lovely people might be able to give.

I am looking for the sibling of my Great Grandfather, he was one of four children, or so I thought until I found him on the 1911 Census living with his mother and father in Accrington, shortly before he joined the RFA. And as you know it gives you information about married people's number of children, imagine my surprise when his mother didn't put 4, but 5, 4 living one dead.

So here are the details

William Brown (1956 - 1935) married Charlotte Elizabeth Spence (1857 - 1934) in Settle, Yorkshire June 1878 and they had -----

Arthur Norman Brown - c1881, Settle, Yorkshire.....then

Gertrude Brown - 4 April 1883, Clapham, Yorkshire......then

Ella May Brown - c1890, Clapham, Yorkshire ......then my Great grandfather

Ernest Percy Brown - 20 January 1895, Clapham, Yorkshire

I thought perhaps looking between the biggest gap for a child death, but there are too many and I have no way of narrowing the search down. I tried finding where the other children may have been baptised, and where those records are kept, but I don't know the area well enough. It'd be easy enough for me to get to Clapham, so if anyone knows where the records for that area are kept, or where I might be able to obtain a copy. I'm hoping i've given enough information, but if i've missed anything out just ask and i'll try to fill in the blanks, i'd really like to solve the mystery or get some help to get me closer to some answers.

Thank you very much, I hope you can help :)

Sarah Brown :)

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 31 Jan 2014 00:57

Have you looked here for births and deaths in Settle:

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

You can get accurate birth years for Arthur and Ella too.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 31 Jan 2014 00:59

Possible Arthur was a twin:

Births Jun 1881 (>99%)
Brown Arthur Norman Settle 9a 10
BROWN William Settle 9a 10

Deaths Sep 1882 (>99%)
Brown William 1 Settle 9a 10

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 31 Jan 2014 01:04

Other possible children:

Births Dec 1879
Brown Lilian Settle 9a 7

Deaths Mar 1881 (>99%)
Brown Lilian 1 Settle 9a 9

Births Mar 1888
BROWN Bertha Jane Settle 9a 12
BROWN John Anthony Settle 9a 8

Deaths Mar 1888
BROWN John Anthony 0 Settle 9a 8

Deaths Jun 1888 (>99%)
BROWN Bertha Jane 0 Settle 9a 11

Births Sep 1888 (>99%)
BROWN Laura Beatrice Settle 9a 11

Deaths Dec 1888 (>99%)
Brown Laura Beatrice 0 Settle 9a 7

Etc, etc...

Rose

Penny

Penny Report 31 Jan 2014 05:45

1891 census- not that it helps much

ame:Wm Brown

Estimated Birth Year:abt 1836

Relation:Head

Spouse's Name:Char Brown

Where born:Dent, Yorkshire, England

Civil Parish:Clapham

Ecclesiastical parish:Clapham

Town:Clapham

County/Island:Yorkshire

CountryEngland

Registration District:Settle

Sub-registration District:Bentham

ED, institution, or vessel:

Piece:3492
Folio:107
Page Number:4

Household Members:

Wm Brown 55
Char Brown 33
Arthur Brown 9
Gert Brown 8
Ellen M Brown 1

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 31 Jan 2014 11:59

Welcome to the boards Sarah.

The twin looks a good bet to me but you need to buy the birth cert to find out for sure. As they have the same ref number it sounds good to me. You can order online.

jax

jax Report 31 Jan 2014 15:30

My gt grandparents had 16 children on the 1911 it says 10 still living.

I have been lucky to find the baptisms for 5 of them (2 sets of twins & 1 single birth) all died within 6 months of birth.

I have wondered about the other one but as the name is common would hate to guess which one it was although have been drawn towards a Mary Ellen as the mother was Mary and none of the children were given her name, but the eldest son was given his fathers name.

I have also thought maybe the child was a still birth so not registered?

The strange thing about this Mary Ellen there is a death reg but no birth reg that matches up for the area or time scale...so am in 2 minds whether to purchase it

Val23

Val23 Report 31 Jan 2014 23:26

Hi Sarah,

I don't know whether this will be of any use to you, i came across it when searching as i had family originated in Settle, Austwick and Giggleswick.
Look at family history section.

http://www.austwick.org/

Val

Sarah

Sarah Report 31 Jan 2014 23:47

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I'll have to get looking into some of these leads, although I have no sets of twins in my family tree so far, but it's always worth a look.

Brown is such a popular name and it's been frustrating trying to just do my best and do some guess work. But maybe I need to think about ordering some certificates and seeing what connections i've got right.

I would really like to perhaps know if there is any way to get hold of Clapham Parish Records. Does anyone know where those records might be kept, I guess i'd be looking for Baptism and Death records between 1878 and 1911. Any ideas? :) You're right Rose, it might also help me get some more accurate dates of birth for Ella and Arthur :)

I refuse to give up! I'll keep on searching until I clean up the muddles and find the Brown's i'm looking for :)

Thanks Again

Sarah :)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Feb 2014 14:47

Have you seen these pages, Sarah?

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/CBW/WRY/Clapham.html

http://www.yorkshireparishregisters.com/

Sarah

Sarah Report 12 Feb 2014 16:34

Hi ArgyllGran,

I have emailed The Yorkshire Records office and got details from them about what records they have available and they were very helpful. The charge a large fee to look things up, so i think if i can't find what i need from the local parish church (which the lady i emailed said that's where the records will be) then i'll head over to the records office and have a look in the archives myself. I've been doing some pretty intense research over the last couple of weeks and have found a lot of my ancestors lived in Settle, so it'd be a worth while trip :) Thank you all for all the help :) Here's hoping the archive visit pays off :)

Sarah :)