Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help with an occupation please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carter

Carter Report 21 Feb 2007 10:49

hi i wonder if someone could give me some advice or point me into the right direction see below in a mo love linda x

Carter

Carter Report 21 Feb 2007 10:50

i have the following marriage taken from the lancashire opc Marriage: 7 Dec 1840 St Wilfrids, Standish, Lancashire, England John Broomhead - (X), Full Labourer Bachelor of Standish Lydia Eastham - (X), Minor Servant Spinster of Standish Groom's Father: Thomas Broomhead, Gamekeeper Bride's Father: John Eastham, Labourer Witness: Miles Sumner?; William Darbyshire Married by Banns by: Geo. Whitlock Curate Register: Marriages 1837 - 1848, Page 84, Entry 168 Source: LDS Film 1526141 i would love to find out more about the grooms father THOMAS BROOMHEAD and his occupation of GAMEKEEPER. it states that the family come from standish but on every census JOHN BROOMHEAD is said to have come from HAIGH lancashire which is not very far away i can find thomas's family on the 1841 census but he isnt on so might have died although i cant find a death and cant find him or his wife elizabeth (betty) on the 1851 the occupation of gamekeeper fascinates me and i wondered if there is anywhere i might be able to find out where he was employed knowing my luck he wasnt a proper gamekeper but more like the zak dingle off emmerdale !! i keep think about haigh hall and wonder if there would have been any other large homes or parks in that are ? anyone got any ideas ? thanks love linda x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Feb 2007 10:58

Can't help with your query, but John Broomhead (from the marriage certificate) is living in Standish with his wife on the 1841 census. Kath. x

Heather

Heather Report 21 Feb 2007 11:46

In theory he should need a gamekeepers licence - you may want to contact local records office to see if they kept the applications?

Carter

Carter Report 21 Feb 2007 12:58

thats a great idea about the gamekeeprs licence i know this sounds a bit thick but which dept of records office should i get in touch with ? love linda x x

Heather

Heather Report 21 Feb 2007 13:49

I mean the records office nearest to where he was at the time he was a gamekeeper - the local archives. Put in the closest place to where he was and do a google search for the nearest records office - For example, if it were my GGF who lived in Norfolk, Id email Norwich Records Office - if they do have the licences on record - you may have to pay a fee for them to search and photocopy anything. Try googling a local family history society or indeed, gamekeepers and the area your man was in. You are lucky as Lancs seem to have a lot of good family history stuff on line or transcribed. Google, google, google.

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC)

Mike. The Leicester Lad.(GC) Report 21 Feb 2007 14:14

Greeting’s Folks … What you need to see is the ~ “ THE GAMEKEEPERS REGISTER.” Find out which area he was in then get in touch with the Records Office which covers that area. ……. I only did this the other week here in Leicester. with success MIKE.

Carter

Carter Report 21 Feb 2007 14:53

mike and heather thank you so much i will get on to that right away thanks once again for your wonderful help love linda x

Thomas

Thomas Report 21 Oct 2013 13:13

Linda, Thomas and Elizabeth's youngest son Richard was buried at St Wilfreds, Standish 6/6/1839 aged 9. There is a large estate in Haigh where Thomas probably worked which stretches as far as Standish. Not sure why Thomas was not with his family in the 1841 census but as he was a gamekeeper he may have been working away from home. There is a possible burial for Thomas at St David, Haigh 12/9/1849 aged 60 living in Aspull. Haigh Hall and the estate still exists and is one of the more picturesque areas of Wigan.

jax

jax Report 21 Oct 2013 13:49

Hi Thomas

Linda posted this over 6 years ago and may not be checking for replies now.

Click on her name and send her a private message, if her email address is still the same she will be notified

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 22 Oct 2013 14:44

Yet another old thread been dug up

I know the boards area bit slow but......