Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Purging the contact file

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maxwell

Maxwell Report 16 Feb 2007 11:31

When I view my tree the drop down list that has the names of members who have opened their tree to me now has more than one hundred names. Can someone tell me how to delete names from that list?

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 16 Feb 2007 11:57

Go to 'Shared Trees' on the left of this page, this will bring up a list of all your contacts, those for which you have access to their trees are shown my a green tree, click on the bin icon beside each one you want to delete, this will remove them. Only do it to the ones you no longer want to remain in your contacts. Jennifer

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Aug 2013 18:21

I've tried searching for a more recent answer to the question of how to delete other people's trees from the "Trees Shared with Me" list on the "Tree Dashboard" - I'm sure I saw something not too long ago, but can't find it now, so am resurrecting this very old thread.

That list (now 76 trees) is cluttered up with trees shared by other people in the hope that we might be related, usually without my having requested it - only to find that we were not related in any way.

I've tried asking the tree owners, if they're still on my contacts list, to end the permission to view, but most never respond.
I've tried deleting the tree owners from my contact list - the contacts go, but the trees remain on the list, and available for me to view.

Does anyone know how (or if!) these unwanted trees can be deleted from the list?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Aug 2013 18:25

No, not as far was anyone has yet discovered. :-(

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Aug 2013 18:30

Thanks, DetEcTive.
That's what I feared was the case!

Joy

Joy Report 28 Aug 2013 18:32

This is an issue that GR promised to resolve.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Aug 2013 18:34

Ha! ha! One of the many.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 29 Aug 2013 17:44

I don't understand why you feel the need to delete them. Just don't look at them.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 30 Aug 2013 10:13

Personally I couldn't care if members have let me see their tree and it turns out there is nothing of interest. As Margee says, no big deal, don't bother looking at it.

I can't see it getting any IT development priority either as there are more important matters which need looking at first.