Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Previous marriage dissolved - what does this mean?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trouble

Trouble Report 15 Nov 2004 15:37

I have literally just received my grandparents marriage cert and under condition, my grandmother is Spinster and my grandfather states Previous marriage dissolved Although I know they were living together at the address of my grandmother on the cert (their sons confirm this) my grandfathers residence at the time of marriage is 200 miles away? can anyone tell me what 'Previous marriage dissolved' means? Was he divorced or does it mean his first marriage was annulled? Thanks for your help.

Seasons

Seasons Report 15 Nov 2004 15:43

Divorced so free to marry again.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Nov 2004 15:44

Hi according to google the dissolution of marriege is divorce. Ann Glos

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 15 Nov 2004 15:44

i think it still means the same as todays previous marriage dissolved which is divorced, although i think divorce was less common in those days yvonne

Trouble

Trouble Report 15 Nov 2004 15:51

Thanks everyone, now I just need to find out who he was married to first? There is no other name on the cert, do you know how I can trace a divorce from 1955(date of 2nd marriage)?

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 Nov 2004 15:55

Previous marriage dissolved? Does that mean he got rid of her in an acid bath?

Trouble

Trouble Report 15 Nov 2004 16:04

Grampa Jim Thanks for that, it's made me smile. We thought it possible that he was married before but seeing it in black and white (well green) was another matter! At least you have made me see the funny side of this. Thanks.

Deborah

Deborah Report 15 Nov 2004 19:06

Hi Tracie, I've been married twice, and that's exactly what my 'condition' says - former marriage dissolved. Debbie