Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find my Grandfather Eugene Markie

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 25 Dec 2009 23:40

He came over from Belfast to settle in Newcastle Upon Tyne. Mid 1920's he was born 1894 died 1955. Worked as a carpenter on ships . Met my widowed grandmother Jane Sword and married and raised her two children and had 3 more one being my mother. Dont know where he was born in Ireland but think it was Belfast. So little information to hand about his past. Left Belfast to escape the troubles as he was a devout Catholic. Can anyone help?

cagsie

cagsie Report 26 Dec 2009 09:21

Name: Eugene Markie
Registration district: Belfast
Record type: BIRTHS
Registration date - quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1891
Estimated birth year:
Film number: 101063
Volume: 1
Page: 342
Digital GS number: 4193977
Image number: 00382
Collection: Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958

cagsie

cagsie Report 26 Dec 2009 09:25

Surname Forename Age Sex
Markie Eugene 49 Male
Markie Mary 50 Female
Markie Ellen 22 Female
Markie Eugene 20 Male
Markie Charles John 16 Male
Markie Maude 13 Female
Markie Morris 8 Male
Pinkey Sarah Anne 27 Female
Pinkey Thomas James 5 Male

living in Cromac, Antrim (don't know where that it, but it's only Eugene Markie in 1911 - all were born in Belfast except wife in Fermanaugh

father Eugene was a joiner, so fits with Eugene jnr being a carpenter

cagsie

cagsie Report 26 Dec 2009 09:28

what does it say on his marriage certificate about his father?

Linda

Linda Report 26 Dec 2009 23:18

Thankyou so much for this. It has made my Christmas.... I dont have the marriage certificate as yet but I will go on line and purchase. I am only a novice at this and have obtained a lot of information for remembering what I was told as a child. But it is correct as I remember a Sarah Ann being mentioned often. This will give me the push to investigate further. Many thanks again it is appreciated.

Linda (Melbourne Australia)

mgnv

mgnv Report 27 Dec 2009 18:42

cagsie really should have said where she got her info from - my guess is:

To look up the ref info for Irish BMDs, go to:
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=allCollections;r=1
You can buy their b.certs thru GRONI, but it's cheaper to buy UNCERTIFIED copies of their b.regos. See:
http://www.groireland.ie/

To get the 1911 census image(s):
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/
However, you'll want to go back there as they say:

The site is being re-developed to include full transcription of all of the data on the household forms for 1911, including religion, occupation, relationship to head of family, literacy status, county or country of origin, Irish language proficiency, specified illnesses, and child survival information. This additional information will be launched online on 29/30 December 2009.

1901 Census material, with all data transcribed, will be launched between early and mid-2010.

cagsie

cagsie Report 27 Dec 2009 19:31

nope, not pilot search, i just looked at the 1911 ireland
but you're right i forgot to state my source - thank you for slapping my wrists, mgnv !!