Help Centre - Frequently Asked Questions
Complete FAQ Listing
- How do I delete my tree?
- How do I import or export a gedcom file?
- How do I print my tree?
- How do I unsubscribe?
- How do I view trees that have been shared with me?
- How much are pay-per-view credits?
- I have forgotten my password
- What is the Keepsafe?
- Where are my Hot Matches?
- Why isn't the clipboard working?
- How do I get a password reminder? (UPDATED)
- I am having problems signing in (UPDATED)
- I have multiple registrations with my email address, do I need to do anything? (NEW)
- Why can't I create another membership with my email address? (NEW)
- How do I update my details?
- Please remove me from your mailing list
- I want to delete my registration
- I seem to have more than one registration
- How do I update my message board profile?
- How do I make the text bigger or smaller on my screen?
- Online safety
- What is the Keepsafe?
- What can I add to my Keepsafe?
- How do I add something to my Keepsafe?
- What file types do you accept?
- What are My Folders?
- What are edit, attach and move?
- How do I attach an item to someone in my tree?
- How do I share an item with another member?
- How do I search the photos and media?
- Can I add someone else’s item to my Keepsafe?
- Can I add records to my Keepsafe?
- What happens when I attach an item to a relative?
- The image I want to see is blurred.
- Can I print out items from my Keepsafe?
- Old tree - can I still access my old tree ? NEW
- Old tree - removed why? NEW
- Unable to view the whole of the dashboard NEW
- Unable to see the whole of my details panel NEW
- Unable to search my tree NEW
- Adding a relation to my tree NEW
- How do I save changes after I've added a relation or amended their details? NEW
- Editing names in the tree NEW
- Deleting a relative in my tree NEW
- Changing parents on tree NEW
- How do I change my root person/tree owner? NEW
- Where are my relation's photos and notes? NEW
- How do I view other trees? NEW
- My tree won't load NEW
- Tree error 503
- Where are my attached records? NEW
- Why can't I see the 'View other trees' link?NEW
- List view-what is it? NEW
- Deleting your Family Tree
- Building your Family Tree
- Viewing your Family Tree
- Printable Charts
- Living relatives
- Printing your Family Tree
- Privatising your Family Tree
- Tree permissions
- Which Census records do you have?
- Scottish Census records NEW
- Which BMD records do you have?
- Which Military records do you have?
- Which Parish records do you have?
- Which British Newspapers do you have?
- Which Travel and Overseas records do you have?
- British Newspaper Archive
- Scottish and Irish records
- Using the Birth/Marriage/Death records-UPDATED
- Searching the census - UPDATED
- Attaching and removing census images
- Automatic matching
- My Favourites
- How much do records cost?
- Where's the Search Records tab? - NEW
- 1871 census information for Wales
- Reporting errors with records
- Ordering certificates
- Saving the records
Genes Reunited allows people to search, contact and chat anonymously to other members in a safe and secure environment.
For your own safety and security, and to help you ensure you only reveal the type of information you want to when contacting other members on the site, here is some basic information that all members should familiarise themselves with. It may seem really obvious but we feel it's always worth reminding yourselves to help enjoy the site whilst discovering your family history.
• We never reveal your email address to anyone on any screen of the Genes Reunited Service. You should never reveal your email address and personal contact details to anyone through the site.
• Log off or exit from the Genes Reunited Service when you are not using it and never tell anyone your password.
• You decide which members can view your family tree by granting them access to it or not in your contact centre under My Contacts accessed from the 'Messages' tab on your homepage once you're logged in.
• You must have permission to include any living individual's details and photos in your family tree and, for your own family's privacy, you can choose whether you want details of your living relatives to be shown in your family tree when you share it with others, or whether you prefer some of their details to be hidden. You'll find this option on the My Account page which can be accessed from a link in the top right hand corner of your homepage once you're logged in.
• With regard to credit card security, we use a secure payment server through our payment providers, meaning that your full credit or debit card details are never revealed to us or shown on the site.
• You are in control of (and ultimately responsible for) what you say and do on the site. If you feel that a member is persistently harassing you please report this member to the support team who will take the necessary action.
• Act responsibly and use your common sense when talking to other members. Whilst we offer you an anonymous platform to chat to other members, you need to use your judgment and common sense when speaking to members.
• If you are going away or you might be left in your home alone, don't advertise this to other members as it could make you vulnerable to break ins.
Trace your living relatives
Whether you want to trace living relatives, plan a reunion or find out how to use Genes Reunited to find family links, download our guide for more information.
Build your family tree
You can build your family tree for free so be sure to add as many names as you can. Contact other members who have added the same names as you and watch your tree grow.
Our YouTube channel
Every family has a story
Lorraine Kelly launches the Every Family Has a Story campaign by sharing hers exclusively with Genes Reunited. Watch some of our incredible stories, including Lorraine's, on our YouTube channel.