Help Centre - Frequently Asked Questions
Complete FAQ Listing
- How do I delete my tree?
- How do I import or export a gedcom file?
- How do I print my tree?
- How do I unsubscribe?
- How do I view trees that have been shared with me?
- How much are pay-per-view credits?
- I have forgotten my password
- What is the Keepsafe?
- Where are my Hot Matches?
- Why isn't the clipboard working?
- How do I get a password reminder? (UPDATED)
- I am having problems signing in (UPDATED)
- I have multiple registrations with my email address, do I need to do anything? (NEW)
- Why can't I create another membership with my email address? (NEW)
- How do I update my details?
- Please remove me from your mailing list
- I want to delete my registration
- I seem to have more than one registration
- How do I update my message board profile?
- How do I make the text bigger or smaller on my screen?
- Online safety
- What is the Keepsafe?
- What can I add to my Keepsafe?
- How do I add something to my Keepsafe?
- What file types do you accept?
- What are My Folders?
- What are edit, attach and move?
- How do I attach an item to someone in my tree?
- How do I share an item with another member?
- How do I search the photos and media?
- Can I add someone else’s item to my Keepsafe?
- Can I add records to my Keepsafe?
- What happens when I attach an item to a relative?
- The image I want to see is blurred.
- Can I print out items from my Keepsafe?
- Old tree - can I still access my old tree ? NEW
- Old tree - removed why? NEW
- Unable to view the whole of the dashboard NEW
- Unable to see the whole of my details panel NEW
- Unable to search my tree NEW
- Adding a relation to my tree NEW
- How do I save changes after I've added a relation or amended their details? NEW
- Editing names in the tree NEW
- Deleting a relative in my tree NEW
- Changing parents on tree NEW
- How do I change my root person/tree owner? NEW
- Where are my relation's photos and notes? NEW
- How do I view other trees? NEW
- My tree won't load NEW
- Tree error 503
- Where are my attached records? NEW
- Why can't I see the 'View other trees' link?NEW
- List view-what is it? NEW
- Deleting your Family Tree
- Building your Family Tree
- Viewing your Family Tree
- Printable Charts
- Living relatives
- Printing your Family Tree
- Privatising your Family Tree
- Tree permissions
- Searching all records - NEW!
- Which Census records do you have?
- Where are the Parish records? NEW!
- Scottish Census records
- Which BMD records do you have?
- Which Military records do you have?
- Which Parish records do you have?
- Which British Newspapers do you have?
- Which Travel and Migration records do you have?
- British Newspaper Archive
- Scottish and Irish records
- Using the Birth/Marriage/Death records - UPDATED
- Searching the census - UPDATED
- Attaching and removing census images
- Automatic matching
- How much do records cost?
- Ordering certificates
- 1871 census information for Wales
- Saving the records
- Reporting errors with records
I am having problems signing in (UPDATED)
If you are having problems signing in to your membership and seem to be stuck in a loop, you probably just need to clear the cached pages stored on your PC. You can then try logging in again. Don't worry, it is not as complicated to clear them as it sounds.
However, this process does differ according to which type of internet browser you are using, i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome. Here are instructions for the most common browsers.
Internet Explorer 8: click on Tools, select 'delete browsing history' and then tick the 'temporary internet files' box and click delete.
Internet Explorer 9: click on the cog icon in the top right hand corner, select Safety and then 'delete browsing history'. Tick the 'temporary internet files' box and click delete.
Mozilla Firefox: click on Firefox in the top left hand corner. Select the arrow next to History and then click on 'Clear Recent History'.
Google Chrome v.1-9: click on the wrench in the top right hand corner. Click on options then Under the Bonnet and select 'Clear Browsing Data'. Select ' Empty the cache' and click on the 'clear browsing data' button.
Google Chrome v.10: click on the menu icon in the top right hand corner. At the bottom click on 'Show advanced settings'. Scroll down to Privacy and click on 'Clear Browsing Data'. Tick the box next to 'emtpy the cache' and then click on the 'clear browsing data button'.
For instructions on how to clear the cache for other internet browsers please click here.
It may help if you reset your password, you can instantly reset your password by visiting this page.
Trace your living relatives
Whether you want to trace living relatives, plan a reunion or find out how to use Genes Reunited to find family links, download our guide for more information.
Build your family tree
You can build your family tree for free so be sure to add as many names as you can. Contact other members who have added the same names as you and watch your tree grow.
The British Newspaper Archive
Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?