Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Printing a tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 20 Oct 2011 18:59

I'm having a problem printing out my tree - I get the "print preview" page which stays blank and nothing happens.
Anyone got any advice please?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Oct 2011 19:20

The Genes tree set up isnt really printer friendly .you get reams and reams of paper that dont fit together to make a readable tree.

You best bet is to download the tree onto another Family Tree program and then print from there. I have FTM and find that has lots of ways of printing out tree info like genealogy reports etc

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 20 Oct 2011 22:44

trouble is I'm not getting anything at all to print out and it's someone elses's tree so I can't do a gedcom - just want to see how we might fit together

Kense

Kense Report 21 Oct 2011 10:01

I may be wrong but I don't think you can print someone else's tree. I have tried selecting someone else's small tree and nothing comes up. If I change from full tree to immediate family the print button is greyed out.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Oct 2011 10:14

That's odd, cos when I read the OP, I tried it out on one of my permitted trees. In both cases (largish tree and smaller one) I'm given the print preview page.

But I do agree it only works on the Full Tree view.

If TLiR hasn't had any success, it might be worth contacting Support. Could it be linked to the type of Browser you are using? Or whether you have the right version of..um..Flash player? The latter name may be wrong, and I'll stand corrected if someone can give the correct name.

Kense

Kense Report 21 Oct 2011 10:24

I've just tried it using Google Chrome as my browser and it worked. Previously I used IE9 (with the correct version of Flash Player)..

Neil

Neil Report 21 Oct 2011 17:11

I am having the same problem as TLiR and have reported it to Support. It is not anything obvious, and for what it is worth, it sticks at the Print Preview page when using either IE or Firefox.
I have, in the past, always been able to print any tree to which I have been given access, including Ancestors and Descendants.

Neil

Neil Report 22 Oct 2011 11:36

Despite the humble apology last night from GR regarding problems with the site, I am afraid that I still can not print my tree nor any part of it, and of course I have not had any response from Support.

Neil

Kense

Kense Report 22 Oct 2011 11:53

Neil, try using Google Chrome.

Neil

Neil Report 22 Oct 2011 14:32

You are quite right JC - I have not had to swap browsers in order to print from GR for over 5 years, and I do not want to start now.

Thanks for your suggestion KenSE, but apart from the fact that it should not be necessary, I don't really want to let Google into any more of my life than is strictly needed, bearing in mind the huge amount of info they store about everyone who uses any part of their software.

Neil

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 22 Oct 2011 19:38

Glad it's not just me having problems. Like Neil, I'm using IE and could always print out in the past. Have just returned to GT after some months away so thought maybe there had been some changes that I'm not aware of

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 22 Oct 2011 20:41

that was a type - meant to say just returned to GR !

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 23 Oct 2011 15:39

Nudged up for Molgosha. :-D

Neil

Neil Report 24 Oct 2011 23:05

Update. Still have same problem. Reply from GR support says they are aware of the problem, are working on it, please be patient.

Neil

Annette

Annette Report 1 Nov 2011 01:04

I am having problems printing tree the print option is blanked out!!
It was there 2 days ago but on pressing it I got a blank page. I have reported it but no reply as yet. Any suggestions please :-S

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Nov 2011 07:16

Annette, if you read Neil's posting above you will see that GR are working on the problem. You need to give them some time to deal with it.

Otherwise, in the meantime, try using Google Chrome as suggested by Ken.

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 4 Nov 2011 19:44

well, just tried using Google Chrome - this time I at least got the print preview page & all the options but still no print out!

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 14 Jan 2012 20:38

well despite GR asking us all to be patient as they tried to fix the problem back in November, I still can't print a tree.
Trying to log in tonight via Google Chrome tells me that the page is unavailable although I can log in via IE.
Tried to use Mozilla Firefox and the programme just keeps crashing telling me that it's performed an illegal operation.

So, I still can't print out a tree.

Has anyone else solved this problem yet please?