Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

National Registration Identity Card Numbers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 18 Jul 2012 15:59

Hi Does anyone know if it is possible to trace someone through their National Reistration Identity Card Number. Also does anyone know what the classifications AN and AR mean?

I am seraching for my friend's father. She only has this information, his name on her birth certificate and that her mother was married to someone else when she was born.

Thelma

Thelma Report 18 Jul 2012 16:04

See here;
http://www.1911census.org.uk/1939.htm

Thelma

Thelma Report 18 Jul 2012 16:06

Does AR mean Army Reserve?

Thelma

Thelma Report 18 Jul 2012 16:11

http://www.ic.nhs.uk/services/1939-register-service

Christine

Christine Report 18 Jul 2012 16:15

Hi Thelma

I will give these a try. My friend does not have a dob for her father so this would be really helpful in trying to find him and/or any step siblings.

Mnay thanks

Christine

Christine Report 18 Jul 2012 16:23

Forgot to mention they met late 1940's early 1950's in Dunfermline. Their Identity cards have them living together at 2 addresses in Dunfermline then moving to Hull where my friend was born 1952

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Jul 2012 20:29

Related (but slightly different) thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/living_relatives/thread/1304106?jump=1304106

Find Living Relatives : Michael Barrett Dunfermline Bus Depot

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 18 Jul 2012 20:36

Christine

The answer to your original question is No. Applying to the National Register will give you the details of where they were in 1939, and it sounds as though you have that already, if you have their identity cards.

Also, you can only apply if the person is dead, as living people still use the ID number as their NHS number, and that is confidential.

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jul 2012 10:01

Hi that is very helpful I was not aware of the connection with the NI number. I have indeed got another thread running in connection with this search, One asking for information about National Registration Identity Cards, and the answers have been very helpful and the other asking if anyone has information on the Dunfermline Bus Depot. late 1940's early 1950's. Many thanks

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 20 Jul 2012 15:32

You will not get very much info even if you could access these records.

Pretty much the same as the electoral rolls.

Christine

Christine Report 20 Jul 2012 17:23

Someone has suggested that the Identity number is the same as the national health number and not NI. Not sure if I can get any more information from that

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 20 Jul 2012 17:31

Well my NI number is not the same as my Identity card number, bears no resemblance whatsoever. So not sure though if some peoples are the same.

I do possess my own Identity card, from way back.

George

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 20 Jul 2012 17:46

The identity card no has nothing to do with NI numbers. The latter are only issued to people of working age, and were invented after the war.

The Identity card no was used as a registration no for the newly formed National Health Service in 1948, as a convenient way of listing the whole population, since even newborns had ID cards.

Christine

Christine Report 21 Jul 2012 11:19

Hi I have found the following information from various places: the National Registration number was used for National Health Service numbers. They usually consisted of four letters and numbers. The letters represented the recording office. The first three numbers were the houehold number on the list i.e. 247 was the 247th household registered and the fourth number was the number of that person within the household i.e 247/6 would mean the person was the 6th member of the household. Number 1 was the head of the household and went down in ages. Memebers of household were not necessarily from the same family. Class Code A was for a person aged 21 or over when registered. The addition of N indicated a name change. Class Code B was for someone aged between 16 and 21 when registered. The B was followed by three numbers. These indicated the year and quarter when they were born i.e. B233 was 1923 3rd Quarter. A yellow card with class code C was for someone from the Republic of Ireland and a yellow card V was for someone who had resided abroad. Most of the examples I have seen have been the four letters and 4 numbers. However there must have been districts which registered more than 999 households and premises with more residents. One example was a chap who had lived in a home with over 200 residents. On Michael's registration card he has Class Code AR - i cannot find out what the R is for and his number is 1984:928. I am wondering if he was registered in the forces hence the high number. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks for all the help so far