Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CATHERINE MCKENZIE BORN SCOTLAND

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Kath

Kath Report 22 Nov 2010 08:43

Hoping someone can help with this long standing brick wall.

My grt grt Grandmother Catherine McKenzie ( has been spelt Catharine,
Cathrine, also surname has been spelt McKinzie on some of the census from 1841 - 1881.
She was born around 1836 in Perthshire, Scotland, but I cannot find her birth/baptism.

I am giving as much information as possible so you are not wasting your time with checking census etc.

1841 CENSUS
Catherine McKinzie
Est Birth: 1836 Perthshire- Age 5
Father: Alexr McKinzie b. 1806c - Perthshire - Age 35
Mother: Chrerhan McKinzie (should be Christina/Christian) b. 1806c Perthshire - Age 35
Living Lower Craigie Village, Perth, Perthshire.

1851 CENSUS
Cathrine McKenzie
Est Birth: 1835 - Perth, Perthshire Age 16
Mother: Christian McKenzie b. 1801c - Perth, Perthshire Age 50
Also with them is Christian's Granddaughter, Christian Caution aged 5 b. 1846c Perth, Perthshire.
Father: Alexander is not with them.
Living in Scotlandwell, Portmoak, Kinross.

By the 1861 Census, Catherine is married to Robert Ritchie b. 1831c Kennoway, Fife.
Marriage cert details:
3/12/1857 parish of Markinch, Fife. Catherine aged 21 - Residence: Scotlandwell, Portmoak.
Father: Alexr McKenzie
Mother: Christian/christina Angus

1861 CENSUS
Catherine Ritchie b. 1837c West Kirks Parish, Perthshire Age 24
With her husband Robert, living at Auchmuty Farm, Markinch.

1871 CENSUS
Catherine Ritchie b.1847c Perth Age 24 (obviously an error there as she was still at auchmuty Farm with Robert & her children) One of them being David Ritchie b.February 1871, Auchmuty Markinch. ( My Grt Grandfather)

1881 CENSUS
Catherine Ritchie b. 1838c Perth, Age 43 still living with her husband and children in Durievale, Markinch.

3rd June 1883 Catharine Ritchie died (accident) in Durievale Markinch, Age on death cert is 40. Father: Alexander McKenzie, Mother: Christina Angus (deceased) Informant: Robert Ritchie (Widower)

I have a photograph of her headstone but can't make out the age given.
This is the only birth I can find (IGI) but it's 1833 and none of the dates fit with any of the census.
Can you please try & find the birth on scotlandspeople? I have tried but failed many times.
KATHERINE MACKENZIE Pedigree
Female

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: 10 OCT 1833

Christening: 20 OCT 1833 Perth, Perth, Scotland

Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: ALEXANDER MACKENZIE Family
Mother: CHRISTIAN ANGUS

Thank you very much for any assistance
Kath

Kath

Kath Report 22 Nov 2010 18:33

I put this thread on TTF board earler this evening as there has been no response on the help clinic after 9 hours & I don't even know if anyone has even read it or had a look for me.

I've been given all the details I need from a very kind person who had some spare credits.

Kath

Vera

Vera Report 22 Nov 2010 18:49

Hi Kath, Have found the parents marriage...but so far no luck with Catherine/Catharine's birth/baptism....still looking.

Regards Vera

Kath

Kath Report 22 Nov 2010 18:53

Hi Vera,
Thank you but I now have the info as per my thread above re: TTF.

Kath

Vera

Vera Report 22 Nov 2010 18:57

Thanks Kath.

Regards Vera