Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Amy Tranter

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 3 Sep 2010 10:28

Hi folks......i think i may have found my grandmothers birth, on genesreunited there is an Amy Tranter born in Ashbourne 1908 and registered oct, nov, dec. I know her birth to be 11/9/1908 which sounds about right but i dont know place of birth. Yet on ancestry.co.uk the same Amy Tranter is listed as being born in December 1908??....any help greatly appreciated.

Carol Ann

Carol Ann Report 3 Sep 2010 10:34

Does it not say Oct/Nov/Dec quarter.....

don't know if this is the right one, but was just putting it on to show you what i mean....

They get 6 weeks to register the birth so if not registered till beginning of October would come under this quarter

Name: Amy Tranter
Year of Registration: 1908
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Ashbourne
County: Derbyshire, Staffordshire
Volume: 7b
Page: 707

My daughter was born late September but is registered in Dec Quarter like this..

Joan

Joan Report 3 Sep 2010 10:36

Hi Mark
The Ancestry entry - Dec 1908 means that she was registered in the Dec quarter of 1908. This would be registered in October November or December. It sounds feasible that if your Amy was born 11th September that she could well have been registered in October. I think parents were given six weeks to register the birth.
Have you contacted the tree owner to find out more? There's nothing to lose.
Do you have the 1911 census details?
Good luck
Joan

Cathy

Cathy Report 3 Sep 2010 10:37

Hi Mark,

That is probably the same birth on Ancestry, births are registered in

Quarters... Oct/Nov/Dec would be in Dec Q4 on the birth record

Kind regards,

Cathy

Joan

Joan Report 3 Sep 2010 10:44

Hi
On freebmd there is a birth of an Amy Tranter in September quarter 1908 in Hemsworth, Yorkshire. If you do not know the place of birth of your Amy; then this could also be her.
Do you have details of her parents or her marriage or siblings ?
Joan

Mark

Mark Report 3 Sep 2010 11:13

thanks folks....that makes it clearer that it is in quarters.
i have come across the one in hemsworth Joan but because i knew amy had lots of siblings, the Ashbourne one seems more real to me....she had 15 siblings and there seems to be a lot of Tranters from around late 1890's to early 1900's. I am still awaiting possible names of these siblings from my aunt. Think i need to check out possible siblings from hemsworth aswell!
Amy was married to a gent named Powell who i think maybe Ernest Powell born c1905 with whom she had two children Una and raymond

Mary

Mary Report 3 Sep 2010 11:16

According to 1911 she was born Lissington Ashbourne Derbyshire about 1909 to Clement 1867 died Glossop 1957 and louisa nee Wright 1874 married 15 years.

Maryb

Mark

Mark Report 3 Sep 2010 11:26

Thanks Mary, i may have the right one then. When you say married 15 years, does that mean they were divorced?

Mary

Mary Report 3 Sep 2010 11:41

No they are still married,on the form it asks how many years completed in the present marriage.

Maryb
On the day of the census they had 9 children 2 of which had died.

Mark

Mark Report 3 Sep 2010 11:56

good stuff...thanks again mary.....which site would i subscribe to if any, to find out how many children they had and their names

Mark

Mark Report 3 Sep 2010 12:01

i always remember my grandma saying she was one of 16 children. How true it is only time and research will tell but that would put their ages at 51 and 44 if they had a child every year on from the census year!! assuming that they were both the the parents of the 16 children. My word!!

Joan

Joan Report 3 Sep 2010 14:04

Hi Mark
I see that there are two other people on this site with your Clement Tranter.
On the 1911 census Clement and Louisa have 7 children living. Violet May 14, Ethel 12, William Henry 10, Fanny 7, James 5, Agnes 3 and AMY 2. Living at 21 Clumber Terrace, Derby. Clement was 44 and born Ashbourne and was a foreman cotton doubler.
Regards Joan