Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lois Allez - Guernsey to Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 25 Jun 2009 05:29

Hi,

I am trying to find information on a Lois Harriet Allez who was born in 1910 in Forrest, Guernsey, Channel Islands to John Allez, Farmer born 1861 in Forrest, Guernsey, Channel Islands and Harriet Blondell Robin b 1878 in St Saviour, Guernsey, Channel Islands.

I have tracked the family on the 1911 census and both Harriet’s and John’s families prior to this.

The next record I can find of Lois is of her death in 1945 at the age of 35 from eclampsia in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia. Her death certificate states that she married my 1st cousin Robert Courtney James in Geelong, Victoria in 1943 and had been in Australia for 1 ½ years only. At the time of her death Lois was living with Robert’s parents in Ballarat. Robert was a medical nurse in WW2 and on active service, so perhaps they met whilst he was on a medical transport ship or something like that.

I have been to Lois’s grave where she is buried with her twin daughters who also did not survive the childbirth.

My query is that I can find no trace of Lois arriving in Australia, if she travelled alone or if she managed to leave Guernsey in wartime (I thought Guernsey was occupied in WW2 and travelling would have been difficult but I could be incorrect). Does anyone know if there is another way I can find out when she left Guernsey? National Archive of Australia, Public Records of Victoria etc show no information on Lois.

Any help or idea would be much appreciated. It seems so sad that Lois travelled such a long way to die so young with her babies.

Regards

Rachelle

Penny

Penny Report 25 Jun 2009 07:16

deketed

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 25 Jun 2009 07:18

Hi Minnie,

Her death certificate states that she married in Geelong Victoria Australia when she was 33 years.

Thanks

jansmith

jansmith Report 25 Jun 2009 07:27

I havent got credits for find my past but there is this one
ALLEZ Lois 1910 F left 1936 London to Egypt Port Said VIEW VIEW

jansmith

jansmith Report 25 Jun 2009 07:31

http://www.findmypast.com any of these names in her family?

ALLEZ Rose Stella 1894 F 1926 London Australia Sydney VIEW VIEW
ALLEZ Rachel 1896 F 1926 London Australia Sydney VIEW VIEW
ALLEZ Lois 1910 F 1936 London Egypt Port Said VIEW VIEW
ALLEZ Harriet Louisa 1858 F 1926 London Australia Sydney VIEW VIEW
ALLEZ Elizabeth 1891 F 1926 London Australia Sydney VIEW VIEW
ALLEZ B Adult M 1898 London New Zealand Wellington VIEW VIEW

jansmith

jansmith Report 25 Jun 2009 07:35

ALLEZ Elizabeth 1891 F 1931 Southampton Egypt Port Said

As you have got family info it
might be worth looking at names leaving from Southampton as well

sablon

sablon Report 25 Jun 2009 07:43

Hi a lot of famlies were evacuated to england at the start of the war before the invasion.especially women and children.infact my own mother was sent to scotland with her brothers and sisters,If anyone did not go then they would have had to stay till the end of the war.I did read somwhere that some english famlies were shipped out but not sure where to
Have you checked if she was in the WRAF some went out to Eygpt she may have been a nurse

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 25 Jun 2009 23:38

Thank you everyone.

I had a member pm me and deatils ocnfirm that Lois was indeed a nurse and was in Egypt.

Unfortunately I don't recognise the names on the list kindly provided by jansmith, other than Lois in 1910.

I'll try Findmypast and see what records they have.

Sablon, how can I check if Lois was in the WRAF? In Australia I can check in the National Archives and service files can be found but I am not sure how you track this in the UK.

Thanks everyone for your kind help, it is just a little mystery in the scheme of things but it is so nice to put a little more information to her name.

jansmith

jansmith Report 26 Jun 2009 01:18

I don't think WW2 records can be searched .They are still held by forces record office and would cost about £30 to ask them to search ,but you need to know some service info and be the next of kin

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 26 Jun 2009 01:24

thanks Jansmith for letting me know!

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 29 Jun 2009 01:30

Thank you Peter for the additional information, I'll check Elizabeth out today.

Regards

Rachelle

defect@outlook.com.au

[email protected] Report 18 Sep 2009 14:07

Reference WW2 records, they can be searched to locate names and service numbers. One way is to search the Nominal Roll. http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/script/name.asp#searchtabs It containes a fair bit of information on each person. You can also search the Australian National Archives: http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx
and Australian War Memorial: http://www.awm.gov.au/
I had a look for ALLEZ, but didn't see your one there.
Good luck,
Diane

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 21 Sep 2009 00:37

Thanks Dianne,

Lois was not Australian and there is nothing on the National Archives. I'm in Australia so I always check those sites first!

Kind regards

Rachelle

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Jun 2012 09:38

I am related to Lois, not sure how but you may be able to help. My grandfather was Harrison Allez

Regards

Lois

Gai

Gai Report 1 Jun 2012 11:51

Hi Lois,

Welcome to the boards.

This thread was last posted on in 2009 so I suggest to click on AmazingGrace08 name and send a personal message.

Gai

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Jun 2012 08:49

Thanks Gai

Have done, but thought I'd try here as there has been no response.

Lois