Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DEAN Joseph c1815 Southampton/Birmingham

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 10 May 2009 11:41

Joseph Dean, born Southampton 1815, married Sarah, 1811 -1891, from Wales or border counties [listed variously as Shrewsbury, Dolgellau, Llangollen]. Had 7 children between 1838 and 1852 [James, William, Catherine, John, Henry, Sarah and Charles], and lived in London Colney, Hertfordshire, and Birmingham, St George . PLEASE HELP.... the line has gone dead [in more ways than one] and I cannot find his parents or siblings! Many thanks.

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 10 May 2009 12:46

There is this one from IGI Family search ?

www.familysearch.org

JOSEPH DEAN Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
01 OCT 1814 Cannon Street Meeting House-Baptist, Birmingham, Warwick, England
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: WILLIAM DEAN Family
Mother: JANE

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C093031 1768 - 1837 0825427 (RG4 2972) Film NONE
C093031 1768 - 1837 0825427 (RG4 2973) Film NONE
C093031 1768 - 1837 0825427 (RG4 3115) Film NONE
Sheet: 00

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

maybe sister

ELIZABETH DEAN Pedigree
Female

Event(s):
Birth:
22 MAR 1817 Cannon Street Meeting House-Baptist, Birmingham, Warwick, England
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: WILLIAM DEAN Family
Mother: JANE

Astra

Astra Report 10 May 2009 13:04

I've been looking through the census records and Joseph only appears with his family in the 1851.
In 1841 Sarah although called Dean is classed as independent and living with James and William unless I have the wrong family!
Is Joseph the father to all of the children?
There are several Joseph Dean to Sarah marriages in various parts of the Country between 1837 and 1838 but it's difficult to pinpoint one.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 28 Sep 2010 15:57

Hello Barbara.
Thanks for your info about Joseph Dean being christened in Birmingham. I had come across this but I was trying to find details of him born in Southampton [as listed on the censuses]. I suppose he could have been born in Hampshire and christened elsewhere, especially as it was a Baptist christening and might not show up on ordinary parish registers.
I've got a birth certificate for one of his children which names the mother as Sarah Hughes,[who is born in three different places according to censuses] but can find no marriage event around 1836 [when their first child was born]. Even with the children there are problems. Censuses list them as born in London or Colney, Norfolk and I've found them in London Colney, Herts.
Anyway, thanks for your input, I'm very grateful. Best wishes, Liz

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 28 Sep 2010 17:14

Hello Astra,
i'm really confused as to whether Joseph was an absent father or what. he was listed as "a light porter" so might have been a bit itinerant, finding work where he could. From what I can find Joseph does seem to be listed as father to all the children and this is confirmed in C 1851. The family seemed to move around anyway. Three children born in London Colney, Shenley, Hertfordshire, one in Southampton [there is an intermittent connection with Southampton, maybe grandparents lived there?] and the last one in Birmingham. I think there's a strong possibility that they were baptists so maybe this makes finding them, certainly a marriage, more difficult.
Anyway, thanks for your input,
All the best, Liz

Mike *

Mike * Report 28 Sep 2010 18:02

1. CATHERINE DEAN -
Gender: Female Christening: 06 APR 1844 London Colney, Hertford, England

2. WILLIAM DEAN -
Gender: Male Christening: 23 AUG 1840 London Colney, Hertford, England

3. SARAH ELIZA DEAN -
Gender: Female Christening: 04 SEP 1842 London Colney, Hertford, England

4. JAMES JOSEPH LAMBERT DEAN -
Gender: Male Christening: 11 NOV 1838 London Colney, Hertford, England

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: JOSEPH DEAN
Mother: SARAH

Mike *

Mike * Report 28 Sep 2010 18:59

Elizabeth can you post the 1881 you found Sarah b1811 on please.

Saw this one but it can't be the same one who had a daughter Sarah christened in 1842 in Hertford... wrong age.

Sarah DEAN Head W Female 70 N K, Wales Dressmaker
Sarah MORETON (?) Daur M Female 30 Bham, Warwick, England
James MARTIN Boarder Male 31 Bham, Warwick, England Labourer In Tube Mills

:
Dwelling 5 Hope Terrace Icknield Port Road
Census Place Birmingham, Warwick, England

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 29 Sep 2010 08:35

The plot thickens. Michael, the Censuses which shows Sarah Hughes-Dean born in 1811 are C1841 & C1861. Also C1851 shows her as born in 1812.

As far as Sarah junior goes, she first turns up on C 1851 aged 1. Based on this, I thought that the C1881 which you are dis-counting fitted in[where she's named as Sarah Moreton living at 5 Hope Terrace] ?

The earlier census C1841, Sarah Hughes-Dean [mother] is still in London Colney [initially listed as Radlett until you open the Census up and it states London Colney] with just two children--- James 2yrs and William 10 months. [There is a male, John Potter, listed with the family but he actually comes from the previous page of the census and I don't think is connected.]
I am THOROUGHLY confused now! Please can you tell me where you found the list of Hertforshire, London Colney, christenings ? You have four of the six children christened in London Colney and a different age for Sarah jnr.
Any help in unravelling the problem would REALLY be appreciated as I'm not very experienced in Ancestry. Do you have a connection with the Deans or is yours another family which has inter-connected with them?
Thanks again for all the views and imput,
regards Liz.

Mike *

Mike * Report 29 Sep 2010 15:16

I'm not connected in any way.

The christenings are on familysearch.org - showing daughter Sarah christened in 1842 ( of course it's possible she may have died and they had another child and called her Sarah too)
Or it could be the wrong family altogether.

With reference to the 1881 census ..
Have looked for a marriage for Sarah Dean to Moreton/Morton but can't see one.

Thought perhaps James Martin was her husband but the only marriages are not James...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Dec 1874

Dean Sarah King's N. 6c 829
Martin John King's N. 6c 829
White Aaron King's N. 6c 829
White Dorothy King's N. 6c 829

Marriages Jun 1876

BIGGS William Birmingham 6d 53
Dean Sarah Birmingham 6d 53
Hebblethwaite Mary Ann Birmingham 6d 53
Hebblewaite Mary Ann Birmingham 6d 53
Hibblethwaite Mary Ann Birmingham 6d 53
Martin Henry Birmingham 6d 53

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 30 Sep 2010 17:37

Thanks Michael. I think I shall drop the Moreton/ Martin connection to Sarah Eliza Dean. Either there are two families running in parallel with all the same names except a differently aged Sarah Eliza, or , your suggestion that maybe the first one died and they named a later daughter after her. Slightly morbid for one child to live in another's shadow but I have come across it three or four times in my father's tree.
Following later Censuses it seems strange that the rest of the family stay constant [apart from a somewhat itinerant father, Joseph] unless she were a second-time-around Sarah Eliza?
I need to find more resources for Baptists. It could help with marriages and a 2nd Sarah's birth. Hopefully I might find some missing pieces in that way.
Thanks again for your help .
Best wishes, Liz