Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joan Ferguson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 26 Mar 2009 08:37

Joan Ferguson m Dugald Butler 18 Jun 1826, Glasgow they were parents of James Butler b 1828,

Looking for any DOB, parental info anyone may have - got a copy of marriage record but only states their names. Where do I go next

Alan

Alan Report 26 Mar 2009 08:51

There are a few options on "familysearch.org"

Paul

Paul Report 26 Mar 2009 09:15

Looks like she died before then - shown as deceased on son's marriage cert. He was married in 1856.

Paul

Paul Report 26 Mar 2009 10:37

oooh who deleted the replies - thanks guys

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 26 Mar 2009 10:38

did Paul you said the info was incorrect?

Paul

Paul Report 26 Mar 2009 10:40

some was correct - some was correct but about wrong member of same family - just got your msg and realised it was you that deleted - thought it was administrator or something like that!

Sorry

Paul

Paul Report 26 Mar 2009 13:57

Got copy of James and Betsy Cairns marriage cert - 1856 from Scotlandspeople and that of Dugald an Jane Baillie in 1862. Both give Dugald Butler as father and Joan Ferguson as mother and listed as deceased.

Wondering if Dugald senior remariied - have a record of his marriage to Joan Ferguson in 1826 - he could have married Janet Andrews after Joan's death? That would be post 1834 as that was when Duglad was born?

Or am I just getting confused??

Tombul

Tombul Report 26 Mar 2009 14:16

I checked some of the actual records for you.

James Butler (28) married Betsy Cairns (23) on 18/07/1856 gives parents as Dugald Butler, Cotton Weaver and mother as Joan Butler maiden name Ferguson (deceased).

The death of Dugald Butler, (mentioned earlier) Cotton Weaver on 14/03/1873 gives him as the widower of Janet Andrew. He is given as Male aged 73 with parents James Butler, Cotton Weaver (deceased). Mother Agnes Butler m.s. Clark (deceased) Registered by his son Dugald Butler (Present at death).

I also looked up the death of a James Butler on 8 May 1906 widower of Elizabeth Cairns. Again this lists parents as Dugald Butler and Joan Butler m.s. Ferguson.

I am not sure how on Dugalds death certificate he is described as the widower of Janet Andrew. Did he marry twice. Normally on a Scottish death ceertificate all spouses are listed (unless the family say he was only married once).
So the Dugald who died in 1873 was either married twice or this is a different person.

I will check and see if I can find a second marriage.

Found a marriage in the old parish registers on 18 June 1826 of Dugald Butler, Weaver of Barony and Joan Ferguson of Glasgow.

Found marriage in OPR's for 7 October 1836 Dugald Butler , Weaver in Glasgow and Janet Andrew residing there.

So it seems it is two different people .

I will search for the death of Dugald who married Janet Ferguson.

Could not find a death record for him from 1855 onwards.

Tom