Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help neede

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 18 Nov 2010 18:21

I have a Louisa Player (1858-1931) married to Jerome Moon. I have them all census's but what I need help with is trying to find a connection between her and Players Cigarettes. My mother in law is adamant there is a connection! I know her parents are Samuel Player (1833-1901) and Sarah Creamer (born 1837). Am doing this for my husbands great aunt for xmas so any information would be fantatsic. Thank you!

Mike *

Mike * Report 18 Nov 2010 18:27

John Player founded his tobacco company in the mid-19th century in Nottingham. It was later expanded into a thriving cigarette manufactory (based at the Castle Tobacco Factories in Radford, Nottingham - just west of the city centre) and run by his sons, John Dane Player and William Goodacre Player.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Nov 2010 18:28

have you tried Googling for Players cigarettes info

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 18 Nov 2010 18:32

This is THEE John Player with his family:

1841 England Census about John Player
Name: John Player
Estimated birth year: abt 1840
Where born: Essex, England
Civil Parish: Saffron Walden
Hundred: Saffron Walden Town
County/Island: Essex
Street address:

View image
Registration district: Saffron Walden
Sub-registration district: Saffron Walden
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
John Player 40
Sophia Player 38
>>>>>>>>>Samuel Player 6
Sophia Player 4
Elizabeth Player 3
John Player 1
Joseph Player 5 MO
Mary Armitage 54

Dee x

Mike *

Mike * Report 18 Nov 2010 19:01

JOHN PLAYER'S SONS

Births Dec 1864
PLAYER John Dane - Nottingham 7b 251

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Mar 1866
Player William G - Nottingham 7b 273

FAMILY in 1881

Household:

(THEE) John PLAYER Head M Male 40 Saffron Walden, Essex, England Tobacco Manuf Employing 80 Persons
Ann PLAYER Wife M Female 51 Holwell, Leicester, England No Occupation
William G. PLAYER Son U Male 15 Nottingham, England Tobacco Man Assistant
Ernest GOODACRE Visitor Male 8 Liverpool Scholar
Mary FRISBY Servt U Female 25 Ab Kettleby, Leicester, England Domestic Servant

Dwelling 9 Park Valley
Census Place Nottingham Standard Hill, Nottingham, England

Births Sep 1839 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Player John - Saffron Walden 12 231

Mike *

Mike * Report 18 Nov 2010 19:02

Marriages Jun 1894 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barnes Emma Jane Nottingham 7b 361
Goddard Mabel Nottingham 7b 361
Hinde Richard Nottingham 7b 361
Player William Goodacre - Nottingham 7b 361
----------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Jun 1889 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASKEW Emily Nottingham 7b 413
Page Margaret Jenny Nottingham 7b 413
PLAYER John Dane Nottingham 7b 413
Scoffield Charles Nottingham 7b 413
Suffield Charles Nottingham 7b 413

Victoria

Victoria Report 18 Nov 2010 19:05

Thank you! Yes I've googled it and come up with this information before. I just can't find a link between them and us! But the family are adamant the are related and will not believe me! Thank you so far1

Victoria

Victoria Report 18 Nov 2010 19:07

Dee I believe from lookiing at the Samuel you highlighted he died young and at sea?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Nov 2010 14:50

wonder why you began another thread on this family - GR do not allow more than one posting on the same person/family

Victoria

Victoria Report 19 Nov 2010 14:56

Sorry I am new to genes, thought because it was me going further back than what I discovered in this post that was ok??? So am I only able to do one post at at time? Because obviously posts get old and down the list so no-one can see?

Victoria

Victoria Report 19 Nov 2010 14:57

When I say new I mean new to posting as have only just updated my account :(

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 19 Nov 2010 15:01

Victoria - Just post a reply on your older thread and that will bring it back to the front page - if you have seen threads with a reply that ony has "nudge" or "n" on it then that reply has been added to bring it back to the front page.

Victoria

Victoria Report 19 Nov 2010 15:06

Thank you will do it that way from now on, someone did a nudge or me yesterday, didnt really understand then but do now. Thanks so much, sorry for confusion.