Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Southampton Parish Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 2 Nov 2009 23:34

I wonder if there is anybody out there that has access to the Southampton Parish Records that may be able to help me. I am looking for birth details of a Henry Archer. From his father’s military records Henry was born on 11th May 1912 – Southampton (may be Aldershot). The only record I can find in the June Quarter 1912 is a Frederick G Archer and wonder if anybody is able to give me details of that record. If not is there a way of finding out from the Parish Records who was born on that day. Any help would be appreciated.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 3 Nov 2009 08:32

Jane

The Parish Recrods will only give details of the Baptism,which does not mean he was born in Southampton-and it would mean trawling through the registers of all of Southampton's many churches

Hopefully someone will find him for you !!

Jane

Jane Report 3 Nov 2009 12:35

Thanks Elizabeth. I guess the only thing I can do is send off for the birth certificate to see what information is on there.

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 3 Nov 2009 20:35

Mother's maiden name is Hodge, does that help?

Births Jun 1912
Archer Frederick G Hodge Southampton 2c 106

What's his father's name?
Who did his dad marry?

Jane

Jane Report 3 Nov 2009 21:05

Thanks for that Selena. This one is complicated as I know the father is a Ernest George Archer and on his military records it states his next of kin as a Henry Archer born 11 May 1912 - Southampton (confirmed by Certificate). Ernest wasn't married at the time until 1914 to a Martha Blake but she isn't the mother as she had a child in early 1913 before marrying Ernest. The only record I could find was the one you mention, but I did find a Death of a Hodge around that quarter period aged 50, which seems a coincident and perhaps the mother died giving birth. I guess the only thing I can do is send for that Birth Certificate and see if it mentions the father. It could be he changed his Christian name at some point.

Thanks again for your help.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Nov 2009 22:06

It looks as if these two might be siblings.....but not if the father remarried in 1914 ?

Births Jun 1912

Archer Frederick G ..Hodge .. Southampton 2c 106

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Dec 1920

Archer Edna M ..Hodge ..Southampton 2c 113

Gwyn

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Nov 2009 22:13

Just checked trees on GR.

It looks as if a ....Simon....... may have Frederick and Edna in his tree.

Gwyn

Jane

Jane Report 3 Nov 2009 23:01

Many thanks for the info Gwyn. From the information you have given me I think I may be following the wrong line completely but thanks for your help anyway.