Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Archer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 28 Jan 2006 19:29

I am currently trying to trace my great grandfather who was father to my grandfather Ronald Francis William Archer. All I know about my great grandfather was that his name was Jack (or John) Archer and he died during the great war as an NCO in the Royal Artillery. My grandfather, Ronald was born in Erith, Dartford on 30th October 1916 and lived in Eltham, London. His mother Ann (or Annie) died when he was two and I am told her maiden name was French. My grandfather lived with relatives of his mother after her death. Any help in sorting out this branch of my family would be gratefully appreciated. 22nd February Thanks to Sylvia and Deb for pointing me in the right direction. I now have a copy of my grandfather's birth certificate which only helps to confirm my gt grandmothers name, 'Annie Archer formerly Westwood a barmaid' of 2 Wyman Terrace, Gilbert Road, Belvedere [Erith, Kent]. My grandfathers and grandmothers marriage certificate states that my gt grandfather's name was Jack Archer (deceased) and his occupation as an NCO in the Royal Artillery. I am however, unable to locate any record of marriage between Annie Westwood and Jack Archer. Annie died the last quarter of 1918 in woolwich aged 30. I can only presume that they never actually married but am puzzled as to why Annie took his surname - any help, guidance to help resolve this conundrum.