Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Boyd m. Janet Docherty Glasgow 1833

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynette

Lynette Report 22 Sep 2008 01:02

William Boyd and Janet Docherty married in Glasgow in 1833. They emigrated shortly after to Tasmania Australia in 1834. Their children were Jean (born Hobart 1834), Isabella 1835, James 1837, Margaret 1839, John 1840, Jessie 1842, Charles 1845 and Mary Ann 1847 all born in Launceston Tasmania Australia. The family later moved to Victoria. Would like to hear from anyone connected please.

Lynette
Australia

Lynette

Lynette Report 22 Mar 2009 03:32

I have now successfully traced the family from Glasgow to Hobart and Launceston, Tasmania, Australia through to Victoria, Australia. I would now like to find the parents and siblings of William Boyd born in Glasgow c1809 also parents and siblings of Jeannett (Janet) Docherty born Edinburgh c1808.
Lynette

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 22 Mar 2009 12:43

Scotlands People

30/06/1809

BOYD WILLIAM
WILLIAM BOYD / MARGARET MCMILLAN
FR345
M
Gorbals
GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/002 0010 0331

Born 20th June, Baptized 30th June

No further details.

No births for Janet Docherty 1806 / 1810 All Scotland
No births for Jeannett Docherty 1806 /1810 All Scotland
No births for Jeannette Docherty 1806 /1810 All Scotland
One birth for Janet Doherty 1806 / 1810
Midlothian, Scotland

02/11/1808
DOHERTY JANET
LAURENCE DOHERTY / ISABEL PAUL FR3215
F
Inveresk and Musselburgh
MIDLOTHIAN 689/ 0100 0014

Lynette

Lynette Report 23 Mar 2009 01:28

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Both William and Janet died in Australia - their death certificate say the parents are "Unknown". I have two possibilities for parents of William (through scotlandspeople) as William Boyd/Margaret McMillian and William Boyd/Margaret Buchanan. Have had no luck with IGI for them. William Boyd c1808 was a Tallow Chandler.

How do I access the Old Parish Registers?

Lynette

Lynette Report 23 Mar 2009 23:32

Yes I am guessing about his parents because the dates are approximately being calculated from their ages at death.

I obtained the marriage from OPR marriages in the scotlandspeople site for William and Janet 14/7/1833 all it is, is a statement saying that " William Boyd Candlemaker in Glasgow and Janet Docherty residing there" - no details of parents unfortunately. Silly me didn't realise what the OPR meant! Well this is probably as far as I can go then. I am happy to have gone as far as I have tracking the family to the present day and have had a lot of fun doing it. I was just very intrigued why they left Glasgow, Scotland for Australia a month after the marriage, perhaps there were no parents living at that time (1833).

Thanks very much for your help

Lynette
Australia

Lynette

Lynette Report 25 Mar 2009 10:11

Thanks for the explanation of the names I wasn't sure how it worked but have found lots of names being repeated right through to the current day especially if on has died. I will go back and study them again.

Lynette