Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Childrens home Milton Hampshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 3 Apr 2011 15:52

Can anyone assist me please.
A friend has asked about a childrens home he was sent to in about 1957/8 which was in Locksway Road in the Milton area of Portsmouth at the age of about 2 years.He wants to know if there are records kept as the place no longer exists.
He needs to know which parent sent him there and for what reason.His first name is Raymond.
Does anyone know about this home and could help to solve a long standing problem.
Look forward to a reply.
Regards.
MG.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 3 Apr 2011 15:54

Just off the top of my head, I'd suggest contacting the social services of that area for advice.

Michael

Michael Report 3 Apr 2011 16:36

Hi Marie,
Many thanks for your reply.
Social Services for that area have no records they say and have suggested the F.O.I. of Portsmouth Council for the next contact.
Would there be a time limit for retaining of documents?
Await your views.
regards.
MG.

Braken

Braken Report 3 Apr 2011 20:50

Just a thought and a slim chance but have you tried Freinds Reunited or The Salvation Army

Colin

Colin Report 3 Apr 2011 21:54

Hi Michael,
If the childrens home was not part of the local authorities jurisdiction and authority, then it may have been a charitable trust home set up by well meaning people who depended on charitable donations to keep the place running.
If you can check out the local library for the Rates Records for the required years, with the area and the name of the road in Portsmouth, it should show you who and what was at the address. A helpful member of the library staff should assist you should you need help.
I would have thought such records would be stored away in local archives, should you find your way to locating who ran the childrens home.

Good luck in your quest.

Colin