Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Maria Burke

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Harold

Harold Report 4 Mar 2010 22:05

My maternal great great grandfather born 1820 Salford married a Maria Burke from Ireland - I think her father was Tobias but I would like to know more.

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 4 Mar 2010 22:08

what's his name please?

Harold

Harold Report 4 Mar 2010 22:23

Hello I wasn't expecting such a prompt reply - it is the first time I have used the system

Maria Burke married Joseph Taylor

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 4 Mar 2010 22:26

This them?

GI Individual Record FamilySearchâ„¢ International Genealogical Index v5.0
British Isles
Search Results | Download | Print

MARIA BURKE Pedigree
Female Family

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Marriages:
Spouse: JOSEPH TAYLOR Family
Marriage:
17 DEC 1837 Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire, England

Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.

Harold

Harold Report 5 Mar 2010 10:47

Thanks Felicity and Marion - hey, I'm getting the hang of this

Yes they were young - more marriage certificates I guess - goodness I will be broke soon.

Harold

Harold Report 18 Mar 2010 17:23

Transferred from Who is Thomas Taylor thread

Ptreviously I identified Maria Buke. She married a Joseph Taylor. It was suggested I puchase their marriage certificate 1837 in Salford/ Manchester. I did this but have not got a lot further. Her dad was, as thought, Tobias Burke, a labourer from Ireland. His was Thomas Taylor a hatter but I can't find him. it is rather a common name. I can't read the ages of either Joseph or Maria. But it is not a number and is the same entry for both. Maybe something to do with underage, I don't know. Anybody any ideas where I should go from here or have I hit a wall?

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 18 Mar 2010 19:00

Harold....
If you either search 1841 Census for Joseph and Maria that will give an indication of their respective ages on Marriage...If you dont have access to the 1841 Census ask one of the members on the Board to check for you..you could also do the same for Thomas Taylor (Hatter) giving as much info.as you may have..
What was the address for Joseph and Maria...??

Harold

Harold Report 18 Mar 2010 22:10

Thanks Eringobrach, I do have possibly Joseph and Maria in 1841 both aged 20 living in Salford ( greengate, durham st) with a baby Thomas.
He is a joiner so that ties up with marriage certificate but of course it tells me nothing about dad Thomas or mother because he is no longer living with them

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 19 Mar 2010 08:07

Morning Harold...

The ages of Joseph and Maria (20) in 1841 would indicate that they were both very young at time of Marriage despite the fact that the 1841 Census did round up/down ages ...
Does it not give their respective addresses on the Marriage Cert....?

Harold

Harold Report 19 Mar 2010 10:24

Hello Eringobrach.

Yes but the writing is terrible - if the chap was still alive I'd get him fired.

For Joseph it looks like 136? Hampson St, Salford
And Maria, Queen or Gwen St