Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

91st Foot Soldiers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steve

Steve Report 30 Jan 2008 10:37

................................................................................................

Hi :-)

I was wondering is there is an avid history buff out there who may be able to help me?

I have have a copy of my 3XGreat grandmothers death certificate for the year 1871. Her name was Janet Cameron b:c1807 in Doune. Her father is described as William Cameron whose rank or profession is that of 'Soldier Private' for the 91st Foot. Scottish history is not a strong point of mine. Is there anyone who can enlighten me as to who were the 91st foot soldiers???

Thanks in advance -> Steve Campbell.

..............................................................................................

Steve

Steve Report 30 Jan 2008 13:02

Hi Tania :-)

Thanks for that. I have now an avalanche of information regarding the 91st foot soldiers. I can only assume that my William Cameron would have been a 'Soldier Private' circa 1795 as his daughter was born circa 1807. I am of the belief the Cameron's were from the Stirlingshire area. Geographically they were from the County of Doune [which is either in Perthshire or Stirlingshire?]. I thought I had found Janet Cameron's parents - but ~ there is no mention of him being a soldier at all. This William Cameron was a Mason by Trade...He may have been a soldier as well as a Mason I guess?? I can only assume that having a soldier in the family was a great honor to which is why it is mentioned in her death certificate. Obviously more research is needed :-)

Thanks again Tania -> Cheers - Steve.