Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GEOGRAPHY HELP PLEASE.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steve

Steve Report 1 Feb 2008 13:31

....................................................................................................

Hi :-)

After several years of being very successful in finding many branches of my mothers family. I have only recently been able to move forward with my fathers side. Having an understanding not only Scottish history but also geography would be of great importance 'both points of which I lack'. I am puzzled and stuck at a certain point with an ancestor. Her name Janet Cameron b:c1807. In the 1851 census her birth place is written as 'Doune' Stirlingshire. 1861 as 'Alloa' Stirlingshire then in her last appearance it reverts back to 'Doune' Stirlingshire. My problem is finding her birth details. The closest Janet Cameron b:c1807 was born in Perthshire. In my googling I have read that the counties are very close. I am confusing myself with clashing information. Is there a kind soul out there who may be able to put me straight as to in which county I should be looking for her Birth details. It would be a huge help indeed.

Thanks in Advance ~ Steve Campbell.

................................................................................................

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 1 Feb 2008 15:10

Doune has always been in Perthshire.
Rosemary

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 1 Feb 2008 15:35

just had a thought if you know who her parents are do an advanced search on www.familysearch by just putting in her parents.
Rosemary

Margaret

Margaret Report 1 Feb 2008 18:39

Steve,
Although Doune is now in Stirlingshire it was originally in the Parish of Kilmadock in Perthshire.Hope this is of a help to you.
Margaret

Steve

Steve Report 2 Feb 2008 02:14

Hi All :-)

I thank each and everyone who has replied to my posting. What fast responses. The consensus is 'Perthshire'. But has been pointed out to me by Alistair that boundaries during this period where changeable. This is where I was having problems in discerning 'Dounes' placing.

Naturally there was good reason behind my understanding whether it was Perthshire or Stirlaingshire. In the last few days I have gained Janet Cameron's death certificate for the year 1871. Janet thrice times married, died of Bronchitis October 26th 1871 aged 65 [I would say give or take a year]. Her parents are written as William Cameron 'Soldier Private for the 91st Foot' and Janet Cameron ms. Cameron. I have not been able to find marriage details for a William Cameron and Janet Cameron. The closest I have found under 'Perth' is baptism records for Janet Cameron bap:1807 lawfull daughter of William Cameron ~ Mason and Janet Buchannan in Perth. I also have the marriage record of for William and Janet. William Cameron ~ Mason and Janet Buchannan at Annitybun, in the parish of scone, daughter of William Buchannan ~ farmer there. In neither entry does it mention 'Doune' but 'Perth' indeed it does. It mentions William as a 'Mason' but not a 'Soldier'. Again I would appreciate others thoughts on the above. Am I going of into a huge tangent??? Or could I possibly be on the correct pathway???

Thanks in Advance - Steve.